New Weber Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure what a new set of vanes cost , but I'd be tempted to trim them with a pair of snips , or grind the middle .
Right. But if this is a design flaw and wasn't corrected, then the new vanes would have the same problem! The photo is from their website today, so there is no indication that they've done anything to solve the problem over the past several years. I don't know how to trim them since the end points down to the bowl. You mean cut or grind along the edges? I guess in theory, that is a possible fix. Good idea.

A couple years ago I attached a billows to the "smoke hole" with the vanes closed, and you wouldn't believe the smoke that came out of the "closed" bottom vents. Way more than from the top. It was like a huge mushroom cloud - you couldn't even see the cooker.

Edit: And for the record, my old beat-up 2008 Weber kettle which has fallen off my truck more than once, more than twice - the vanes have always been snug as a bug. When the control arm finally broke off and I eventually replaced the whole assembly including the vanes, it is STILL snug as a bug - even though the three Weber vanes are significantly longer than the five SnS vanes.

Last edited:
Welcome to kettle nation.
Here is another addition to your stable
IMG_2745.JPG
18" Weber Jumbo Joe
I have an old 22" kettle and a JJ at home and this JJ in FL.
Just the 2 of us so 90% of my grilling is on a JJ
Oh and don't forget a pellet smoke tube. This is my custom half tube for the JJ
This photo is getting started on a 2-1/2# piece of pork butt

Yeah this is what bugs me about my SnS kettle. The tips of all five vanes protrude up away from the bowl! This makes a pretty significant air intake leak. I don't see any way to fix it. It's a pretty blatant design flaw.
Can you flatten each of the vanes and tighten the center fastener?

All of my kettles have the disc style damper. I spring loaded all of them to get a tighter fit.
IMG_2054.JPG IMG_2056.JPG

Can you flatten each of the vanes and tighten the center fastener?

All of my kettles have the disc style damper. I spring loaded all of them to get a tighter fit.
My problem is the bottom vents. See post #20. There is nothing to tighten, and even if there was, it's already snug near the center. As I recall, there's some kind of clip that holds the bottom damper arms in place. It's like buying a Ford and finding it has a Chevy part in it which doesn't fit. I actually tried putting little folded sheets of HD foil under the arms to try to block that air flow, and it did help some. I think.

Right. But if this is a design flaw and wasn't corrected, then the new vanes would have the same problem!
Right , I'm just saying to have a back up if the trim doesn't work out . They don't look like they would seal real well even if they were tight .

Reactions: Marknmd
Welcome to kettle nation.
Here is another addition to your stable
View attachment 660453
18" Weber Jumbo Joe
I have an old 22" kettle and a JJ at home and this JJ in FL.
Just the 2 of us so 90% of my grilling is on a JJ
Oh and don't forget a pellet smoke tube. This is my custom half tube for the JJ
This photo is getting started on a 2-1/2# piece of pork butt
You might as well get a Smokey Joe to add to the stable. You know you want one!

Congrats. Like others have said. The vortex is a must. Use mine all the time. I’m actually down to just a 26” kettle and 22” kettle. Ditched all the others I’ve had. Found it easier to just use one or the other depending on how big of a cook. Stick with those two because of easy to use/flavor over 30” MES, 40” MES, WSM and a Traeger

My problem is the bottom vents. See post #20. There is nothing to tighten, and even if there was, it's already snug near the center. As I recall, there's some kind of clip that holds the bottom damper arms in place. It's like buying a Ford and finding it has a Chevy part in it which doesn't fit. I actually tried putting little folded sheets of HD foil under the arms to try to block that air flow, and it did help some. I think.
I did the bottom ones similar just don't have a photo.

Funny, I have Chevy wheel cylinders in my Dodge brake drums.
You might as well get a Smokey Joe to add to the stable. You know you want one!
Nope! Good try though
Decided the SJ was too small and could not get a hinged grate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky