New Toy for Boat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
After having a week of broken AC than hitting pot hole and breaking one rim and bent another and other things going wrong it was time for something good. Last year my back hurt so bad after fishing and think it mostly lifting that trolling motor up and down. I decided to get an auto deploy Minn Kota Ulterra. Also can launch boat without having to get in it with auto deploy than spot lock. How Cool! Now if I could figure out how to put it on trailer without getting wet I would fish more in the winter. Got it ordered today!

sounds sweet I used to fisah alot but since I don't eat fish and my fishing buddy moved not so much anymore.

That commercial is freakin awesome btw lol
Yeah I quit for over 15 years. One fishing buddy moved to Dallas and the other got killed in a wreck. Sold boat and did not fish again. In 2011 my job went over seas and my fishing buddy got me on in Dallas. Man I hated that commute. After retiring started fishing with my buddy and he got me hooked again. He lives in Oklahoma now so I fishing by myself which I hate but just can't seem to get anyone interested. New toys make it better though.

Brian, I have one and you will like the auto stow and deploy feature. It is especially nice when it's rough and the bow is pitching up and down, no standing up on the front to stow or deploy it. If launching without being in the boat, remember to TURN IT ON and have the remote with you or else you'll just watch your boat drift away, I've seen it done and have never gotten up the nerve to try it myself. Also, people who do launch that way have a tendency to take their remote in the house when they get home...then forget them until they get to the ramp. I have a friend who clamps his motor down when trailering and he forgot to unclamp it at the ramp...in the winter. Yep, watched his boat drift away and called me to come help, way too cold to swim after it. By the time I got there, it had drifted up on a shoal...lesson learned for him and me...:emoji_wink:

Enjoy it, it is a gamechanger. I've owned 3 of them and I know those motors very, very well so if you ever need any advice or info on it, reach out to me, be glad to help.

Next thing I'd recommend is a lithium battery, but that's another topic...

After having a week of broken AC than hitting pot hole and breaking one rim and bent another and other things going wrong it was time for something good. Last year my back hurt so bad after fishing and think it mostly lifting that trolling motor up and down. I decided to get an auto deploy Minn Kota Ulterra. Also can launch boat without having to get in it with auto deploy than spot lock. How Cool! Now if I could figure out how to put it on trailer without getting wet I would fish more in the winter. Got it ordered today!

Nice! A new helpful too/toy is always amazing! :D

Reactions: negolien
Very nice Brian. I'm in the boat with those that quit fishing for awhile after we bought this property just didn't really have the time. When in my stupidity I thought yeah I can fish and run up to the at that time new property after having the carbs rebuilt again because of it sitting to long and the carbs messing up again I learned. I have had the repairs done again and hopefully will get to use more often I still have a never ending list of things to do but need that fishing time. Wife will go with me if she's off but other than that I pretty much fish alone. What friends I have made around here most either don't fish or have to work all week and I hate fishing on the weekends

Reactions: Colin1230
I miss my boat. That would have made life a lot easier. My wife did not help launch or load.

I'd love to put an Ulterra on my Skeeter, that and power poles are the two best things to come along in a long time.

Brian, I have one and you will like the auto stow and deploy feature. It is especially nice when it's rough and the bow is pitching up and down, no standing up on the front to stow or deploy it. If launching without being in the boat, remember to TURN IT ON and have the remote with you or else you'll just watch your boat drift away, I've seen it done and have never gotten up the nerve to try it myself. Also, people who do launch that way have a tendency to take their remote in the house when they get home...then forget them until they get to the ramp. I have a friend who clamps his motor down when trailering and he forgot to unclamp it at the ramp...in the winter. Yep, watched his boat drift away and called me to come help, way too cold to swim after it. By the time I got there, it had drifted up on a shoal...lesson learned for him and me...:emoji_wink:

Enjoy it, it is a gamechanger. I've owned 3 of them and I know those motors very, very well so if you ever need any advice or info on it, reach out to me, be glad to help.

I once fished tournaments. On a busy morning , when everyone was launching, I saw guys just dump the boat in the water, let it float off, and go park the truck. Then they go down to the ramp and hitch a ride out to their boat.

But on those mornings, there were always a lot of people around.

I once fished tournaments. On a busy morning , when everyone was launching, I saw guys just dump the boat in the water, let it float off, and go park the truck. Then they go down to the ramp and hitch a ride out to their boat.
Seen that many times, but my bass fishing days are long over. With my wrecked shoulders, 4 shoulder surgeries, I can't chunk and wind anymore for 8 solid hours. I miss it, but my body doesn't...

Reactions: bigfurmn

I can sure see that happening. I sure wish I could find another fishing buddy. I hate the trailer stuff. I have to use a step ladder and the ramp to get in and out. I used waders this winter and after 3 times of that said just not worth it! I going to try to use the internal transducer to my Garmin 106. I mostly use the livescope anyhow. Be nice getting those cables off the motor. I have a 106 on the console also. Really need to figure out that side and down view thing I hear people talking about.

Seen that many times, but my bass fishing days are long over. With my wrecked shoulders, 4 shoulder surgeries, I can't chunk and wind anymore for 8 solid hours. I miss it, but my body doesn't...
Bass fishing was a bad habit that I had all my life, started as 10 yo kid :emoji_grinning:

I've only had one shoulder operation. But I weaned my way off of it about 10 years ago because it was too expensive. Amount of money spent per hour on the water just became too steep. And I developed other interests.

But I still have my Skeeter and my tackle. I can't let go. I still get out a couple times a year. It was absolutely a love and a passion. I know when I sell the Skeeter and see the new owner haul it down the street, that its over for good. And I just can't say that.

Bass fishing was a bad habit that I had all my life, started as 10 yo kid :emoji_grinning:

I've only had one shoulder operation. But I weaned my way off of it about 10 years ago because it was too expensive. Amount of money spent per hour on the water just became too steep. And I developed other interests.

But I still have my Skeeter and my tackle. I can't let go. I still get out a couple times a year. It was absolutely a love and a passion. I know when I sell the Skeeter and see the new owner haul it down the street, that its over for good. And I just can't say that.
If you where closer I would be happy to fish with you. I live by Texoma.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky