New To This

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

King Nud

Original poster
Sep 8, 2022
Indianapolis, IN
I just got my 1st wood burner Oklahoma Joe Highlander and I love it. It is a positive thing to do at home. Smoking beats BBQ hands down. I really like smoking with wood it take the cooking outdoors experience to a whole nother level. Concrete boy myself from Indianapolis. I would like to get my hands on some pecan wood and see what that is all about. None grows locally. I got cherry, apple, oak, hickory; plenty of those around. I am also wanting to experience smoking with hardwood maple. Interested in hearing and learning from you veterans stick burners.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Iowa! Can't help with your smoker though.

Ryan

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota! Enjoy your time here. Not a stick burner myself, but lots of them here to help you.

Welcome from Colorado.
Pecan and cherry mix is what I use. Apple and hickory are also good mixed with cherry. Have fun and ask questions along the way.
Btw, pecan is a flavor between apple and hickory.

Welcome! What little I know about smoking, I learned on a OK Joe Highland then I bought a larger custom offset. My suggestion for experimenting with the different flavors/smells when using the different woods is to do the whole cook with only one type. Then switch it up the next time and compare flavors. After that, start using combinations of woods and soon you'll know what best fits your personal flavor profile. Keep notes on it all so you can remember everything.

Have fun experimenting and don't hesitate to ask questions. By the way, we like pictures...:emoji_wink:

Reactions: sawhorseray
Personally I cook with what grows locally, never looked into the cost of importing wood. If you have cherry, apple, oak, hickory all available to you locally then IMO you have some of the best woods available.
Gonnasmoke has good advice for getting started.

Welcome to SMF!
Glad to have you join us!
Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks on that new smoker!
Al

Welcome to SMF!
Plenty of pecan down here in Louisiana. Wild Cherry too. That is my favorite combo. Got hickory, maple, and a little bit of apple. But the cherry and pecan is what I use the most....oh- and white oak. I love that on beef.

Reactions: TNJAKE
This is one of my three wood piles. I went down today and put a tarp over the top of it.1st batch of chickens on the Joe. I'd say not bad for a beginner. I have been concentrating on clean smoke. I bought some better lump charcoal and that really helped out the cook. Apple and cherry on these chickens mostly apple. I think I like apple wood.

Attachments

• 20220817_172803.jpg
    20220817_172803.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220821_172918 (1).jpg
    20220821_172918 (1).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220813_112026.jpg
    20220813_112026.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 23
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky