New to the smoking world and forums

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Stop peeking. Lol. I know its tuff, but if your lookin, your not cookin.... My GMG DB recovers fairly quickly, but every time you peek, your extending the cook time.

BTW, it's looking good.
I have only opened it twice to spray it down , I was taught that was the right thing to do

So my internal temp says 170* already and it has only been like 5 hours, I'm confused why it got up there so quick

Some spritz, some don't, some foil, some don't. No one method is correct. Take good notes on this cook. It's difficult to remember the details weeks later when you're doing the next cook. If it comes just "ok" , you can look back and adjust the cook to gain better results.

Last edited:
So my internal temp says 170* already and it has only been like 5 hours, I'm confused why it got up there so quick

Do you have a therm for pit temp? I'm guessing your pit temp is not the same as your set temp. My DB pit temp was 50*+ than set temp.
I ended up with other issues, and had a new controller sent to me wich helped, but I'm still 20-30* off.

Do you have a therm for pit temp? I'm guessing your pit temp is not the same as your set temp. My DB pit temp was 50*+ than set temp.
I ended up with other issues, and had a new controller sent to me wich helped, but I'm still 20-30* off.
no I dont, but I have a thermal gun and that says my grill temp is within 5* of what it should be

no I dont, but I have a thermal gun and that says my grill temp is within 5* of what it should be

Does the thermal gun measure air temp? Not familiar with those. But, your pork buts cooked much quicker than it normally would with a set temp of 215*. Now this cook is going much faster also. If I was a betting man, I'd put my $ on your grill temp is much higher than your set temp..

Get yourself a good dual probe therm. One probe for meat and the other for grill temp.

Last edited:
Does the thermal gun measure air temp? Not familiar with those. But, your pork buts cooked much quicker than it normally would with a set temp of 215*. Now this cook is going much faster also. If I was a betting man, I'd put my $ on your grill temp is much higher than your set temp..

Get yourself a good dual probe therm. One probe for meat and the other for grill temp.
oh believe that I will be because something is funky

The most important question...... how did it turn out???:icon_question:
very juicy, lacking flavor I thought but everyone else thought it was wonderful, even after sitting wrapped in saran wrap, tin foil, towels and a cooler for 7.5 hours, I was concerned I was goin to dry it out but is was not lacking any juices

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky