New to SV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bvonvett

Original poster
Jun 12, 2020
As the title says, i'm new to SV. I did some sirloin steaks, salt and garlic rub, vacuum sealed, 132° for 1 hr 30 minutes, I tried 129° prior and that didn't please the boss. Even after the sear I was still missing the "grill" flavor. What can I do to help with the taste?

Love SV as it's easy but am missing flavor.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210903_182954.jpg
    20210903_182954.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 30
Is it the smoke you're missing maybe? Try letting it cool down in the fridge before searing so it doesn't get overdone on the grill.
The SV has already done the tenderizing part.
I would go at least 4 hours at that temperature.....

I agree---Longer would be better.

And I never SV meat with a Temp below 131°. Pros tell you no lower than 130°, but I give it another 1°, because I can't tell the difference & the Bad Bugs can.

Bear

Even after the sear I was still missing the "grill" flavor. What can I do to help with the taste?
Pay attention to the temp and length of cook given by others and check out the chart .
I get the best sear and flavor from a hot , dry cast iron skillet . Dry meat as well .
Need that char on the edge in my opinion .

Reactions: Bearcarver
I agree with the others. I always do my steak at 132 - 133.5F and 4 hours plus. Longer is better in my opinion.

That said for flavor I use a grill gun for searing. with out it the flavor is blah.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky