New to SV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have used my SV for reheating tri-tip. A full tri-tip is too much for my wife and I so I smoke it to 125 deg, let cool and cut it into dinner sized portions and freeze. I SV to 125 from frozen and the sear on the grill for dinner, works perfect everytime.

Reactions: forktender
Test run completed
I ran them at 148* for 2 hours then seared on a C.I. griddle and also a torch. It turned out awesome.
I just used S&P and a little fresh Rosemary and a few Myers lemon slices.
I also cooked a big pot of Spanish rice and some artichokes.
Good test, thank you all for the help and tips.
I really appreciate the help.
I hope the pictures come out in the right order.
2019-10-02 22.06.35.jpg
20191002_205514.jpg
2019-10-02 22.01.48.jpg
2019-10-02 22.03.15.jpg
2019-10-02 22.04.43.jpg

Last edited:
Completely casual dinner in front of the boob tube tonight.
And evidence that both the little lady and myself loved it.
2019-10-02 22.25.34.jpg

The next time I won't sear it as hard and I will also add twice as much salt.

I can't wait to make chicken taco's with salsa, pickled onions, whole black beans, and fresh made corn tortillas.
The Chicken was by far the best that I've ever made, but even with TX Pete on it was screaming for a TX Mex flare.

Test run completed
I ran them at 148* for 2 hours then seared on a C.I. griddle and also a torch. It turned out awesome.
I just used S&P and a little fresh Rosemary and a few Myers lemon slices.
I also cooked a big pot of Spanish rice and some artichokes.
Good test, thank you all for the help and tips.
I really appreciate the help.
I hope the pictures come out in the right order.

Beautiful !!
Nice Job!
Like.

I find searing to be the hardest thing for me to do, because my Grill doesn't get hot enough to do the job quick enough. In order for me to sear things on my Grill, I have to get part of the inside done too much too. The only chance I have is in a real hot pan on the stove.

Bear

That looks really good. Once you sliced your chicken it looks really good with that dark sear.

Like Bear mentioned, my gas grill doesn’t get all that hot so I do my chicken and pork on the stovetop.

Now for beef, I sear in a CI pan on the grill with butter and baste. I’ve also pulled out the harbor freight flame thrower too with good results.

Try to dry the exterior of your meat the best you can before searing. Also if you’re looking for a nice edge-to-edge doneness when searing steak, you can dry it off and put in the refrigerator uncovered for about 10-20 minutes before you sear it...this is also nice because it gives you time to use the accumulated juices in the bag if you plan on making a reduction.

I stuck the Lodge griddle on my LP Weber and cranked it up until the cast iron was smoking. It actually flared up when I hit it with oil before I tossed the breasts onto it. They seared quickly but I think I got a little carried away. They were plenty moist and the flavor was great but visually I was looking for more of a golden brown color. I'll figure that part out because I'll be making this once a week. I'm trying to eat more chicken because it's so cheap. I'll buy whole chickens when they go on sale and break them down myself to save money. All and all both the little lady and myself were very impressed. And we normally don't really care for breasts because they can be so dry. So if we can make breasts taste this good I can't wait to try it on thighs and wild waterfowl. Adjusting these inkbird unit manually is kinda weird, I guess I'm going to have to try their app and get it connected to my wifi to see if it makes it easier. It was kinda confusing navigating with the buttons and if I didn't have the manual which I thought I lost, it would've been damn near impossible to figure out.
So I can see why people like the wifi app now. I hate all of these new fangled computer connected contraption. LOL.

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'll have more questions, hahaha.

Dan

Reactions: S-met
The next time I won't sear it as hard and I will also add twice as much salt.

I can't wait to make chicken taco's with salsa, pickled onions, whole black beans, and fresh made corn tortillas.
The Chicken was by far the best that I've ever made, but even with TX Pete on it was screaming for a TX Mex flare.

forktender, morning.... Have you tried weighing the salt ???
Personally, I like a 2% salt on the meat I eat... Works out well for me and the salt is consistent...

forktender, morning.... Have you tried weighing the salt ???
Personally, I like a 2% salt on the meat I eat... Works out well for me and the salt is consistent...
I have not, my old dego habits die hard. I was taught to cook by taste sight and feel which is why I still suck at following recipes. I will try the 2% thing the next time I make some up.

Thank you for the tip, Dave.

I guess I'm going to have to try their app and get it connected to my wifi to see if it makes it easier.
Did you get connected? It took me a few tries, but it's much easier.

Bonus, I get alerts when water gets low. Doesn't actually do me any good if no one is home, but at least I am aware instead of surprised. I also started covering the containers with foil to catch condensation and reduce evaporation.

Nope, I quit trying after the second attempt, I suck at anything computerized.
I also cover the cooler with foil on long cooks which cuts way down on evaporation.

I think it took me 3-4 tries to get it connected. You also need to have a 2.4g wifi network. Many wifi routers are defaultde to a 5g connection.

I know that we have a dual Wi-Fi router it has both.
I'm just not sure which one I was trying to connect it to.
I didn't feel very comfortable giving my personal info out to a company in China ( I actually made up a Gmail account for it). I think I'll stick with using in manually. It's not very hard to set a timer and check water level for me. I just make sure I fill to the full line before I go to sleep and cover the cooking vessel, so I don't have an evaporation problem.

Just ordered my first SV and devouring info... I see a few complaints about the grill not getting high enough. Not sure of your grills but adding a sear burner was easily the best thing to happen for me. Was like $75 for my old Jenn Air. Just converted my Dad. As was said, pellicle/dry exterior before searing. I do the @foamheart fan thing. Wife used to make fun of me at first but not anymore... Totally takes the sear to a new level. Seriously, I fan EVERYTHING.

Now my question, must vac seal each breast separate? I was hoping at least pair together. Thanks in advance?

Just ordered my first SV and devouring info... I see a few complaints about the grill not getting high enough. Not sure of your grills but adding a sear burner was easily the best thing to happen for me. Was like $75 for my old Jenn Air. Just converted my Dad. As was said, pellicle/dry exterior before searing. I do the @foamheart fan thing. Wife used to make fun of me at first but not anymore... Totally takes the sear to a new level. Seriously, I fan EVERYTHING.

Now my question, must vac seal each breast separate? I was hoping at least pair together. Thanks in advance?

I do, but I make sure they are in one layer, next to each other when laying flat.
I do a bunch of Scallops & such at once, but all in one layer---Flat.

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
Nice video...........my one recommendation would be to back of on the "alright guy's saying":emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

We get a big flat of boneless chicken breasts every month or so. I sprinkle them with some seasoning and put them in a vac bag with a pad of butter and some broth. 2 or 3 per bag. Freeze it solid for a day then vac seal.

Then when we want chicken pull a bag out of the deep freeze and throw it in the sous vide for 3 - 5 hours at 145F.

Many ways to finish them from there. Fajitas, pasta, bbq, sandwiches, ect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky