New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mike Delawder

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Just received a Masterbuilt smoker for Christmas. I used a ThermPro TP-20 to monitor the temp and my Tri Tip came out too rare. Does it need to be calibrated some way?
Thanks,

Mike,

I highly recommend calibrating, yes.

The normal calibration process for most thermos is to place the probe in an ice water bath until it levels out. It should read approximately 32 degrees. Note what it reads. Then (preferably after allowing it to return to room temp) place the sensor in boiling water until it settles out. It should read approx. 212 depending on a couple variables.. I use my thermos regularly, and check mine about once every five times of use.

Using the actual readings you should be able to tell if it is reading correctly. If not, replace the probe.

I do not use that model, but similar ones and have to replace probes with some frequency. I know the TP-20 is a good one, so it should be accurate, but no guarantee without checking.

Hope this helps,

Mark

The temp was set at 140 when I took it out of the smoker but I wrapped it in foil and let it sit 20 min. before serving.

Wow. Not sure what you were shooting for but at 140 then a 20 min rest in foil that should have gotten you nice medium well done - well done at that temp. I’ve got a TP-20 as well but never had that problem. Try what the other guys have said as far as testing it in boiling and ice water and if worse come to worse just replace the probe. Not too expensive on amazon.

You should definitely check it and calibrate it. Try the boiling water test and then a cup of water with ice. Should read 212 for boiling water because water boils at 212 and no more or no less and the ice w as ter should be 32 plus or minus a degree or 2. I don't use a thermopro but that's a good one from what I hear. But sounds like you did everything right. Maybe not such a long rest next time if you were hoping for less doneness. But 140 is perfect for pork maybe 145 but not much higher

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky