New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lerge15

Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Crossville, Tn
Hello all!! A buddy of mine gave me a Brinkmann vertical smoker the other day and I joined here because I have no idea how to smoke anything, lol. From some of the things that I have read, this smoker is not the greatest, but I want to try it anyway. I figure that if I can master this one, I'll be a pro on a better one!! If any of you have any tips of how to improve my smoker or how to help in any way, I will definitely appreciate it!! I thank you in advance for all the info I'm able to gather on this site!! BTW, I'm living in Crossville (middle), Tn!!

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! Would you mind updating your profile to show the other SMF members where you are located?  Might meet a few neighbors!

You should sign up for Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, and it's great!  This is chock full of great information....no matter what your experience level might be!

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per Jeff in Rule #11. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

welcome1.gif

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Welcome aboard! Glad you joined us. This is a great place to share ideas on our favorite pastimes...smoking and grilling great food! There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another. Any time you need help, just ask and you'll get plenty!

Red

Thanks guys!! I'll be sure to frequent this site regularly. I am very ignorant when it comes to smoking, so I'm sure this forum will be a wonderful blessing to me :)

Hi,Lerge, I started out on a Brinkman ECB like that my inlaws gave me for a Christmas gift many tears ago. I tried a few times but didn't understand what low and slow was all about. So I abandoned it in favor for my gas grill. (I worked for the gas company and got to use a demo at my house for quite a few years). A few years ago I started watching the competition shows and this forum and then it hit me what low and slow was all about. I resurrected my ECB and turned out some pretty good ribs. I had to constantly watch the temps to keep them up where I needed them. I have since graduated to the Weber Smokey Mountain that is one amazing cooker. But cutting my teeth on the ECB prepared me for turning out some amazing ribs on the WSM. When you are ready to move up I would suggest the WSM for it's ease of operation. But go with what works for you. I still use my gasser but have both going when ever I BBQ.

Like I said, I'm just starting out, so I'll get better for sure!!. With my smoker as is, I had a really hard time with it, but I'm ignorant when it comes to the whole process. I'll get there!!

Howdee Howdee and welcome to the boards

Since you are new and are going to get blasted with so much info you will seriously not be ready for let me suggest you get a notebook, a journal, a cardex, something to use like a snipers kill book. When you cook note the whos whats whens wheres whys and hows. The meat the preps the rubs the smoker temp, the IT, the etc etc etc. see what I mean? If you will do this when you finish add what you noticed and did and did not like. Write what you'd change what you'd like to try and what you'd tweak. A berry berry smart Guru passed these words on to me also.

Gurus you ask? Those are the folks around here with either moderator tags or OTBS (Order of the Thin Blue Smoke) tags. They are all PhD's in smokelogy and/or they know all the phone numbers for answers, (sometimes a more important quality).

Use the search engine its amazing, it wont paint your house but it will help you feed the painters good chow. Be specific with your questions, and in the beginning use tutorials a lot!

Take pictures so we can grow with you, we all learn from one another, but mostly we also enjoy seeing your achievements they will inspire us also.

Here I go babbling again. Listen just don't stress out, its all good and even your mistakes will be gladly eaten. Its all about patience.

Enjoy the smoke and welcome to my addiction.

Thanks Foamheart!! I haven't though about keeping a smoking diary, but it seems like it would really help out!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky