New To Smoking Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tommysuver

Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Hey guys, i coworker told me about this forum a few years ago but i wasn't really smoking anything as i didn't have a smoker. this year i acquired a little steel drum barrel charcoal smoker and a friend of mine has the 4 rack Jim Beam Bradley electric smoker. we share a seasonal campsite so its amazing that we get to share our toys as well. I've been smoking something every weekend, from chicken wings (my favorite) to brisket. this weekend I'm attempting smoking my own bacon.
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-20 at 2.24.40 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-05 at 9.02.40 PM.jpeg

i just prepped my bacon by sitting in a brine for 3 weeks curing (an old European recipe from my grandparents).
108456249_277938393624680_2377194653885957639_n.jpg

I took it out today from the brine, washed it, covered with paprika, garlic, salt rub and letting it sit in fridge for 24-30 hrs.
107963875_1195389560825260_582967572968921509_n.jpg
107899161_1083400482053778_6088783807288704269_n.jpg

then its smoking time. I'm going to use the Bradley electric smoker and just using smoke without the heat element. i might use heat element just to bring it up to temp but for the majority of time i just want to smoke it and not necessarily cook it. I'll be using apple wood for smoking.

i purchased the sausage hooks to hang the slabs (4 slabs 17-18 inches long) up but I'm worried the thin racks/grills wont be strong enough to hold it together. I'm planning on stacking all 4 of them and then hanging the slabs. i only found 1 person doing it with the sausage hooks. These pictures are off the website i found of someone using the sausage hooks. here is the link if you'd like to see the post https://www.bradleysmoker.com/blog/2014/06/13/fathers-day-special-make-bacon/
1594862946196.png
1594862977917.png
1594862999314.png

Question: has anyone ever smoked bacon using Bradley hanging them of the rack? let me know.

anyways, happy to be here and ill keep you updated on the bacon after the weekend.

take care

Tommy

Welcome from iowa! Doesn't matter much if you hang them or lay them on racks...more personal preference than anything if you have the room.

Ryan

Welcome from iowa! Doesn't matter much if you hang them or lay them on racks...more personal preference than anything if you have the room.

Ryan
Well i kinda want to do them in one batch so thats why i need to hang them. i only have 1 day at the lake as we are going out for a hike the other date and i wouldnt want to leave it smoking while im not there. im sure it would be fine but still. thanks for you input tho.

Never used a Bradley but first time smoking bacon I did on the rack. Now I always hang my bacon, either way works but I feel like I get more even smoke coverage hanging.

View attachment 454271
thats some sexy looking bacon. could you actually post some pictures of your set up. ive been wanting to get a bigger smoker and this looks like something ive been planning

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome to SMF!
Glad to have you join us!
I always cold smoke my bacon on bacon hangers, but that is not to say that is the best way for you to do it. We just like the taste & texture better when cold smoked. But the flavor will be the same whether on a rack or on hangers. The only difference will be the lines on the bacon from the racks.
Al

Reactions: D.W. and JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky