New to smoking & doin a brisket---ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Beef' started by koboxerks, Aug 19, 2011.

1. koboxerks

koboxerks Newbie

I am getting ready to do my first brisket in my offset Char-Broil smoker. I have modified it by putting thermometers at grill level, put a heat damper in the main chamber at the smoker box, & have extended my exhaust. I am new to smoking so any advice would help. My main questions are—How long do I cook per lb.? Best temp to keep it at? Should I inject with anything & does it help it stay moist? Water Pans? Do I need to flip/turn the brisket at any time? Do I wrap in foil?...Like I said, newbie at this so taking any advice I can & filtering out what works best for me. Thanks in advance!!! 

2. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Koboxerks, I do a lot of Briskets and Pork Butts(bone in always)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I do is S/CBP with maybe some Garlic /Onion for the briskeys and my Rub on my Butts. Then I put them in the smoker for 1.5hrs./lb. @220*f (within 20*f either way).Leave the lid shut the whole time and then check them,they are usually right at doneness by then and I then wrap them and rest them or put them in the Refridgerator.

The secret is PATIENCE[​IMG]

3. arnie

arnie Smoking Fanatic

I like to use Jeff;s Naked Rib Rub

About 1 1/2 hr per pound at 225 leave them alone till they hit 195 - 200

If they're tender pull them out and wrap in foil and towels and stuff them in a cooler for up to 6 hours

If you're doing a pork butt with the brisket put the pork butt above the brisket

I like to use Jeff;s Naked Rib Rub

Up to 2 hr per pound at 225 leave them alone till they hit 195 - 200

If they're tender pull them out and wrap in foil and towels and stuff them in a cooler for up to 6 hours

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  4. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

They got you covered.... and I will stress what they said LEAVE IT ALONE! NO PEEKING! With a horizontal offset you dump a ton of heat and it can take a while to recover it - if your lookin, you aint cookin!

5. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

There are so many ways to do a brisket, You'll just have to do some searching and reading.

Then start smoking, you'll eventually find a method that works for you.

I inject mine, and it does help with the moistness of the meat.

Some do a hot fast brisket but most do the Low & Slow method.

The possibilities are endless.

Good luck and remember the Qview [​IMG]

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

What Rap said!