New to smoking checking in from outside Chicago

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

n8pee

Original poster
Aug 21, 2016
Greetings all. I've got plenty of grill and even doubled as a cook while in college but only recently made the smoking plunge.

The rig I chose only because it was cheap and well reviewed for a first smoker - the Masterbuilt dual door vertical propane smoker. Perfect amount of space. Been using the 8" skillet mod which smokeS chunks very well. Can't seem to get temps under 275 tho so have been considering a needle valve or buying a new Bayou regulator with the needle valve already in line which would be easier, but I dont know what PSI to use and don't want to blow up.

Thus far have smoked a pork butt (even the frozen leftovers have been delicious), a few racks of ribs and a chicken (not digging the rubbery skin and was wondering how it would smoke skinless).

Beyond that I have a fascination with jerk chicken.

Glad to be here!

Welcome to SMF!

Since your smoker runs hot just kick it up to 325 for chicken & you will get crispy

or at least bite thru skin.

You can also take the chicken out of the smoker at 150 IT & finish it on a grill to crisp up the skin.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky