New to smoking ,but not eating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawninthestick

Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
North East Missouri
Hello , I got a new Cajun Injector electric smoker for Christmas and this sight has been a go to spot ever since. I have used a Weber charcoal grill for years mostly cooking indirect ,but like the idea of using smokers.  

I do a lot of hunting and fishing and love to be able to smoke my bounties.Duck hunting is by far my most passionate hobby,(I'm one of those crazy guys that gets up at 2 am to go stand is freezing waters in the worst weather to hunt ducks) I also enjoy teaching my son about the outdoors and having respect for mother natures creatures.

One of the first big items I smoked was a whole deer hind quarter ,and it turned out pretty fair(just a little dry)

One of my favorite hobbies is training labrador retrievers for hunting and AKC/UKC competitive hunt test and filed trials.

I see in my future of building a smoker from an old refrigerator,as I've been in the construction field most of my life,and like building things.  

I'm from North East MO.  I look forward to learning more from the experienced smokers on this sight.
icon_smile.gif

Welcome Shawn
You will find plenty of friendly folks with great advice on this forum. Lt the search bar at the top of the page be your new friend. There are over 1 million post on this forum. And that a lot of powerful knowledge right at your finger tips. Or just ask! If you have not checked it out already, Give Jeff's 5 day ecourse a try. It is free and full of great information to make you an even better smoker.
Again Welcome.
Brian

The search function on this sight is awsome, I've got some country style ribs smoking now ,using Jeff's recipe of Cherry Dr. Pepper and Kosher salt for my brine. I've slow cooked ribs for years on my Weber charcoal grill, but I think this recipe will take the cake !

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Crapped out how , like wouldn't hold the heat ? Fire went out? What kind of smoker we talkin about ? Welcome to the forum , by the way...just curious about your smoker troubles.
It is a Cajun Injector Electric , when I plugged  it in today it was reading 240 degrees, then I had to turn it to its max temp (275)to get the element to kick on. It seemed to be running OK , but the digital readout went to about 330 so the element would not kick on. I opened it up and took a surface temp with a digital heat gun and it was only around 140 degrees at the element.   Its less then 30 days old ,so I will be taking it back tomorrow for an exchange. 

Oh , I see. Good that you have that option. I never used an electric smoker, I'm tempted by the ease of operation , but these kind of problems seem to crop up. Well , I guess all the different types of cookers have their drawbacks, if I find an electric smoker for cheap money someday , I might pick one up just to try it....good for making jerky. :grilling_smilie:

Welcome Shawn.

This forum is full of knowledgable people who are always more than willing to help. If you have a question ask it!

I just got into duck hunting myself this past year. Had me lab trained and all. I'd love to talk to you about home training my 1 year old lab pup and getting any tips I can.

Oh , I see. Good that you have that option. I never used an electric smoker, I'm tempted by the ease of operation , but these kind of problems seem to crop up. Well , I guess all the different types of cookers have their drawbacks, if I find an electric smoker for cheap money someday , I might pick one up just to try it....good for making jerky. :grilling_smilie:
If you want easy go for a Pellet popper. After years on a stick burner I went to a propane GSOM. Had it for about 8 years and got a Fast Eddy PG500. Man this thing is so simple and produces great food. Got rid on the gas smoker and grill and not regret ing it at all

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky