new to smokin, even out of season....BBQ is that great

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stobra34

Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I heard a lot of good things about this forum and wish I would have joined before buying my first smoker last nite!! oh well...

I've been using our old gas grill (converted to charcoal after the roommates tried to grill while I was out of town) to do some smoking and get my feet wet with the whole style of cooking. My last attempt was at some St. Louie style ribs and my first try using the 3-2-1 method. I was pretty impressed by the taste and result.

My biggest problem was the amount of charcoal i used to cook ONE rack of ribs. I tried covering up the openings with stuff laying around the house (some rain gutter, beer cans, etc)..which did help, but I'm sure I used 25+ lbs. of charcoal.....I knew there had to be a better way to get great results. So I bought a Brinkmann vertical last nite from home depot and am pumped to get it cured and smokin!!! I believe I got stuck with an older model as it has magents for the doors instead of the spring handle. Your thoughts?? Is this bad??

I've read up on a few mods, and sounds like I'm going to be getting a veggie wok and new thermometer tonite. 

Anyway, glad to join the forum and any tips to point me in the right direction for getting started are appreciated!!!!

-BS

Welcome to this forum.  Sign up for the free e-course on smoking, buy Jeff's recipes, subscribe to his free monthly newsletter, get ready to buy gadgets and the smoking season is 365 days long most years.  Have fun.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Welcome to SMF. Sounds like your ready to go. There are a lot of guys here who have used your smoker & can tell you about the mods required. At least you won't have to stuff it with beer cans or rain gutter. Like rangecop says, sign up for the free E-course, and you gotta have gadgets!    
icon_smile.gif
   Good luck!

Welcome to SMF.  I'm new too and there is a wealth of knowledge here you're gonna love it...just ask a question and there will be 20 different people with ideas on how to help.

welcom to smf.you got some great info already! do a search for some mods the minion method and what ever else your thinking about and read read read.You willbe glad you did on your next smoke.In time you will be sailing along!!!

[h1]new to smokin, even out of season....BBQ is that great[/h1]
And what Season might Ye be referring to Laddie?

Around here there Ain't No Such Thing As a Season unless it is Hunting or Fishing...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Yup.... only season's around here are shorts and BBQ weather or parka and BBQ weather, but no matter what it's all BBQ weather! Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to this forum.  Sign up for the free e-course on smoking, buy Jeff's recipes, subscribe to his free monthly newsletter, get ready to buy gadgets and the smoking season is 365 days long most years.  Have fun.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
stobra34, Rangecop has it down to a tee!  The only thing I would add is after you take the E-Course go to the WIKI section and study a little at a time or look up things like the Acronyms, you'll see plenty of them here.  The only other thing I would add is that the only dumb question you can post here is the one you don't post! These guys are super fantastic about helping you with anything you can ever think about asking about smokeing meat or anything else!  Enjoy, and we are glad to have you here with us!

Barry

aka VirginiaSmokeSignal

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome BS to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

GO GATORS     

Thanks all..smoked some chicken quarters last nite and were delicious...got a rack of spare ribs goin now it smells awesome..I'll try and get some pics up later today..and FYI when I mean out of season it's true in a sense that everywhere I go to buy stuff for my mods NOBODY has anything..oh well I'm doing good with what I got!!! Thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky