New to Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Doubleteex13

Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
I’m looking forward to purchasing my first smoker and looking for some advice. The two smokers that I am interested in are the WSM 18.5 and Fornetto Basso. I currently have a Weber kettle grill and have used it for many years. The Fornetto Basso looks like the WSM and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join the fun. All my experience is with WSMs and Kettles sorry I can't help you out with your other choice.

Chris

The problem with WSM knockoffs is that they're not well made. Thinner metal, more gaps and leaks that will make temperature control difficult. Cuisinart makes a decent one, or there's the Barrel House Cooker, but those are the only two I've seen that are well made other than Weber.

Welcome. I'm sure you'll have a blast with whatever you decide to get. I was using an offset for a long time, kinda got out of smoking and just recently bought a pit boss because of ease and budget. Advice?... you're going great by looking here. This crew is a wealth of knowledge and will give you tones of ideas and help if you are stuck on something.
Make something forgiving, like a Butt for pulled pork your first time. Work on the heavy hitter brisket when you get the smoker figured out.
Get a good thermometer... and use it.
Most importantly, have fun with it.
All the best

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky