New to SMF and looking for ideas to broaden my BBQ'g skills

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lenayres

Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Folsom, CA
My name is Len.  I reside in Folsom, CA (about 20 miles east of Sacramento).  I am originally from the Atlanta, GA area and will return to retire there in a couple of years.  I have been smoking meats for a number of years, but never very seriously, until recently.  I started out 30 years ago on a Weber 22" charcoal kettle.  I graduated to a Brinkmann Sportsman, using charcoal.  Then I had kids and the smoking pursuit dried up.  About 5 years ago, my brother in Atlanta got a Lang (big offset stick burner to pull behind his Suburban), and he woke me up on this topic again.  So, my next endeavor was to modify my Brinkmann to burn propane, using wood chunks in a large coffee can to smolder  and provide flavor.  That worked excellent.....until my propane ran out one time.  Then 2 years ago, Traeger was showing their pellet smokers at Costco with a sweet price, so I bought the Texas Grill and never looked back.  While I can appreciate the tradition of natural cooking with stick burning, I sure appreciate the convenience and great flavor of the automated temperature control of the pellet smoker.  What is next in my BBQ future?  When I retire, my brother and I want to take our skills on the road to compete and see the USA.  Hence my focus for now is on honing my smokings skills and developing a broad range of recipes for meats and side dishes, which will serve me in a competitive environment.

Len, morning and welcome to the forum... glad you stopped in....  the folks here great people and willing to help in any way they can... they even share tried and true recipes for making most any kind of food...   especially Q... This place can become addicting trying all the great recipes...  we enjoy pictures of all kinds of grub so keep you camera/phone handy.... Any questions ?? don't hesitate to ask and enjoy the long smokey ride....  Dave

Hi Len! 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! We're happy to have you! Sounds like you have some good experience to share! Can't wait to start hearing/seeing it!

Hello Len and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - glad you joined in the fun and can't wait to see some of your qview

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky