New to forum looking for tips with anyone who has a masterbuilt propane smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
being new not sure if this is the right forum but I have a masterbuilt propane two door think it’s 36” smoker, has three racks on it and I’ve had trouble regulating the temp during my last two smokes of pork and other was a while chicken. Seems to get way high and I use soaked chips and I did see on you tube a guy recommended not using the chip bowl as provided because the chips can catch fire which I did have an issue with and maybe that’s what raised the temp so he suggested a cast iron bowl or small skillet to put over the burner instead and I plan on getting the igrill2 with the extra grill temp probe Incase my door thermometer is off. Anything else anyone with this smoker could recommend modifying to make it more consistent with the temp control.

Reactions: jokensmoken
I added bricks down around the burner and filled the water pan full of sand which helped keep the smoker at a more even temp. Don't trust the thermo on the door they are normally junk.
I bought a mini 6'' Lodge C.I dutch oven at least that what they look like.
( I don't think they make them anymore) but these melting pots would work fine.
upload_2019-5-28_3-2-20.jpeg

I filled it with chips or dust then covered the top tightly with a double layer of foil then poked 5 or 6 holes in the foil with a knife or pen which kept it from flaring up and it put out plenty of smoke.

Good luck.
Dan

Reactions: JC in GB
In my 30" MB, the cast iron pan instead of the chip bowl helps tremendously. I bought an 8" at walmart. The door thermometer on mine reads high by about 20 degrees at 225. I never got the temp to stay consistent. Was always adjusting it to keep fairly stable. Definitely get another thermometer, I use the Inkbird.
After being tired of constantly babysitting it I bought the 40" thermotemp and that thing runs within a few degrees of set temp for hours on end.

It's propane, turn it up or down.
Ya gotta keep it out of the wind as well.
Once you find the sweet spot as far as temp goes mark dail with a sharpy. If you add the bricks and sand it will take a good 30 minutes to stabilize
Because of the extra heat since.
Good luck.
Dan

being new not sure if this is the right forum but I have a masterbuilt propane two door think it’s 36” smoker, has three racks on it and I’ve had trouble regulating the temp during my last two smokes of pork and other was a while chicken. Seems to get way high and I use soaked chips and I did see on you tube a guy recommended not using the chip bowl as provided because the chips can catch fire which I did have an issue with and maybe that’s what raised the temp so he suggested a cast iron bowl or small skillet to put over the burner instead and I plan on getting the igrill2 with the extra grill temp probe Incase my door thermometer is off. Anything else anyone with this smoker could recommend modifying to make it more consistent with the temp control.

There is a propane smokers section that has great info on modifications.
I've got a 40xl mb propane and temp fluctuations were a constant issue.
As others have said adding bricks (wrap them in foil to aid the clean up.process that will be periodically necessary) will.help tremendously.
I got two patio stones (the largish 1 +1/4 inch thick ones) that cover most of my water pan grate...
Drilled new holes (8 total) that let me move the grate down towards the burner a few more inches...
This helped stabilize temps TREMENDOUSLY and helps slow down temp spikes if you have any kind of "flare up"
Definetly use a cast iron pan on top of the provided chip pan and do cover it with foil (as previously suggested) with a couple holes punched in it...
OR...do as I eventually did and get a smoke tube and use pellets instead of chunks or chips...I just lay mine on the a few beer bottle caps on the floor of the smoker (I use the caps as props to get good air flow to the tube...)
I also added an "in line" needle valve to the propane line...this definitely helps fine tune the temps...the propane controls knob/regulator on Masterbuilt propanes are notoriously finicky and hard to make fine temp adjustments on...Especially on the lower end of "low and slow".
Good luck...fiddle with it...its a great smoker cabinet when you get it tweeked.
Walt

30A57A8E-3BCE-4513-99AA-13F2B1AE4EFE.jpeg
I did the mailbox mod on mine to get the chips out of the cooking chamber (same problem you are having with them catching on fire).
I also cut the vent slats out of the back and installed a dryer vent hood with a 4” stack and damper to improve air flow.
Temps only fluctuate about 5deg now through the entire smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky