New to forum and seeking to absorb wisdom

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radio

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
S.W. Mo
Hello all,

Born and raised in S.W. Missouri.  Married and started a family in Tulsa  (Marriage license in Sapulpa. Hi Jeff:-) after 4 years got a wild hair and moved to California for 20 years.  Got injured on the job and became disabled/retired and moved back to Mo. 4 1/2 years ago.  Gosh It's good to be back in the Mid West!

After becoming disabled I tried several hobbies to keep me sane and finally settled on Silversmithing and jewelry making and design. Somewhere in there I fulfilled a long time desire to become a Ham radio operator.

Always had a love for grilling but never became interested in smoking until we moved back here.  One of our neighbors just down the road had a small BBQ joint out here in the country and was among the best I had ever eaten, so slowly absorbed information from him.  Due to the crappy economy he was forced to close the restaurant a couple of years ago and I can't find any Q as good as his, so started playing with doing my own.  I've had pretty good results so far, but the cheapie upright smoker I have is a PITA to regulate, so been looking at my options.  Due to limited income I can't rush out and buy a nice Lang or something similar, so decided to try and build my own and have decided either an RF offset or center fired smoker is what I want.

I'm pretty handy with tools and another neighbor has all the torches, welders and equipment needed to undertake the task and would help me with the build.

I'll try to use the search and not make a total pest of myself (at least to start)
icon_mrgreen.gif

:welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 50,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 1,000,000 posts describing it! Yea that’s right over 1,000,000!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

We have an Articles section that is full of great information about smoking to include a lot of recipes and instructionals. Check it out there is a lot to learn in there!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

Welcome to the forum, radio. All types of great info on builds here..... and everything else. Great folks here to go along with it. Looking forward to pics of the build progress. All the best to you.

Hello Radio, welcome to SMF, may your research come to an end, may you find what you looking for! I have a offset smoker myself, with tuning plates! And you can tune each door to same temp, or at least 5-8 degrees difference! Take a look at mine and if you some questions let me know! Take a look at my post on my pit, had trouble at with heat , and mods., that somebody recommended helped me tremendously

Hi Radio...Welcome to the forums!  This is the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly and knowledgeable folks who really enjoy helping one another.  Good luck with your RF build project!  Just holler when you need anything, and someone here will have the answer.

Red

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! 

We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF).  To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per Jeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Thanks to all for the friendly welcome!

Kat: I post often on hunting and fishing forums and haven't been banned yet, so I'm pretty harmless
biggrin.gif
  They do allow links, so I'll try to remember it's a no no here

:welcome1: from the east coast , brother! I'll be very interested to see what you build for a smoker. I lack metalworking tools (or training) so I bought a WSM.
When you say a center fired smoker , is that like a UDS,Or pit barrel smoker? Something like that?
Anyhow , look forward to hearing from you. Good luck.

welcome1.gif
from the east coast , brother! I'll be very interested to see what you build for a smoker. I lack metalworking tools (or training) so I bought a WSM.
When you say a center fired smoker , is that like a UDS,Or pit barrel smoker? Something like that?
Anyhow , look forward to hearing from you. Good luck.
Thanks!  Center fired would be a horizontal cooking chamber with the firebox located below and in the center of the smoker like this one (pic stolen from the internet)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky