New to California and taking advantage of smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawkins8017

Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Merced, CALIFORNIA
Started out just looking for a combo propane/charcoal grill and bought a chargriller with the side box accessories. Ive been busy practicing every weekend with as much information as I can glean from the web. Learned a lot about this particular style smoking beef, pork and chicken. The wife is enjoying the fruits of my labor but I'm always still looking to try more. It took a few smokes but I finally feel confident about maintaining a consistent temp and smoke. I realize I didn't get the most efficient smoker but it does the trick for up to a 12 hr smoke.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   Everybody starts somewhere, after you have been smoking for a while you will decide what type of smoker you like and what you want to spend, go to some cook-offs and talk to lots of people, just remember it's not the smoker that turn's out the great BBQ but the person doing the cooking. Myself I have turned out many a good brisket, ribs etc. on a ECB when I was just starting out. Good luck
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

El - Cheap - O - Brinkman, actually I still have one that I cook on every once in a while.  My RF Reverse Flow, Stainless Gas Grill and ECB

Gary

welcome1.gif
 hawkins8017  from the 916!  
 I realize I didn't get the most efficient smoker but it does the trick for up to a 12 hr smoke.
We all had to start somewhere.  As long as you enjoy the food and keeping honing your craft you'll be good to go.

To me, the best part is when you think you're ready for a smoker upgrade....then more fun begins.  Oh and don't forget the Q-View!

Good Luck and Happy Smokin'

My old ECB from the 80's:

Don't have the heart to throw it away.

Got some good smokes off it.  Some others?  Not so good.

You don't need the best equipment if you are willing to put in a little extra work.

You can see my CGSP at the left. With a few mods it will produce great smokes for you.

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky