New smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a "Pellet Smokers" only thread, and I certainly wasn't trying to infer that anyone was an "idiot". I've got two friends with Traegers who've had nothing but problems with the pellet feeders and wifi.. Good luck to you. RAY

Well, I own a variety of grills, from gassers to pellets.

Stay as long as you like Ray. I saw no issues at all with what you had to say

No Richard, my TOTAL experience with pellet smokers is my two friends and time spent on the Traeger forum when I was thinking of purchasing one some time back. I saw problem after problem being brought up, feeders, wifi, fuses going out leading to not cooking, you name it. I decided to go a different way, and surely have no regrets. I see you've been frequenting this site for all of about six weeks now Richard, so what you've got to say must carry a lot of weight. Check out my bio if you like, you'd find I've been making sausage and smoking my own hams and bacon for a couple of decades now. Good luck fella, with a friendly attitude like yours you'll need some. RAY

No Richard, my TOTAL experience with pellet smokers is my two friends and time spent on the Traeger forum when I was thinking of purchasing one some time back. I saw problem after problem being brought up, feeders, wifi, fuses going out leading to not cooking, you name it. I decided to go a different way, and surely have no regrets. I see you've been frequenting this site for all of about six weeks now Richard, so what you've got to say must carry a lot of weight. Check out my bio if you like, you'd find I've been making sausage and smoking my own hams and bacon for a couple of decades now. Good luck fella, with a friendly attitude like yours you'll need some. RAY

What he has to say, carries NO weight in here.

At least not amongst those who know more than a shard about barbecue.

He's been in here a few minutes and in that time has aptly demonstrated that his knowledge is minuscule.

Don't believe me??? Have a look at the following:

... Consider the fact that with true pit cooked barbeque which were all trying to emulate there is actually no smoke at all except from the fat dripping onto the hot coals used to cook the meat. The wood is burned down to hot coals in a separate burn barrel then the glowing hot coals are shoved under the meat in the cooking pit.

So then why use wood at all???? Why go to the trouble of hunting down the best seasoned wood if it's producing "no smoke"? Why not just use hot metal since the only smoke being produced is from fat dripping down onto something hot?

Why aren't pit masters simply heating up pieces of steel as hot as they can get them and cooking over those?

The burning wood is indeed producing smoke, but the wood is at a state which is closer to what is sometimes referred to as, complete combustion. The smoke, is very thin blue smoke, and that's if you can see it at a point nearest the coals.

But he tells us that there is "no smoke" created in an open pit burning wood.

The above quote from him, ought to tell you all that you need to know about how much respect for his knowledge exists in here. But read his responses in that thread, if you have time to kill.

Why is he in here with us? Clearly he isn't here to learn. He knows everything already. Perhaps he needs to be showing those pit masters, who are still cooking over wood in Alabama, Georgia and Carolina, the error of their ways and stop them from chopping down all of that wood they use, because there is "no smoke" coming from it. The "smoke" they're getting is only from animal fat dripping down on the coals. lol.

Do yourself a big favor Ray and quit responding to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
Actually the box it was packed in looked fine as did the styrofoam surrounding the item. I called Rec Tec and have a new one on the way.

Interesting that the box looks good but the item is damaged.

At any rate, I’m glad and not surprised that Rec Tec is taking care of you.

What do you think of the Bull itself so far?

Post up when you get the new smoker box.

"Do yourself a big favor Ray and quit responding to him."

Oh you can bet I will SlowmotionQue, thank you! Anyone who'd be bad-mouthing Myron Mixon, Tuffy Stone, or Aaron Franklin isn't anyone I'd pay a lick of attention to. I mean, what the heck would they know? I still can't believe what I was reading, just incredible! I'm just gonna have to let things go at that. RAY

Hey let’s keep the talk going it’s making for a fun read.....

Glad the bull is working well for many. I came close and went with the Yoder YS640.

Something to keep in mind...some places collect tax differently....that difference might save you a couple hundred to get a better model for free....

Interesting that the box looks good but the item is damaged.

At any rate, I’m glad and not surprised that Rec Tec is taking care of you.

What do you think of the Bull itself so far?

Post up when you get the new smoker box.

Concealed damage, it happens. I have been in the freight business for 30 some odd years and consignees scream because a freight company wont usually honor a claim for damage if no visible damage to container or packaging.

I am doing chuck roast and beef back ribs as I post, copious amounts of smoke compared to what I expected. I notice that temperatures across the grate are anywhere between 15 and 30 degrees difference from front left (usually very close to reading on controller) to rear right. Like any other pit I suppose in that regard as far as hot and cold spots.

Hey let’s keep the talk going it’s making for a fun read.....

Glad the bull is working well for many. I came close and went with the Yoder YS640.

Something to keep in mind...some places collect tax differently....that difference might save you a couple hundred to get a better model for free....

Yes the interaction between some parties is almost like a really good sitcom.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Concealed damage, it happens. I have been in the freight business for 30 some odd years and consignees scream because a freight company wont usually honor a claim for damage if no visible damage to container or packaging.

I am doing chuck roast and beef back ribs as I post, copious amounts of smoke compared to what I expected. I notice that temperatures across the grate are anywhere between 15 and 30 degrees difference from front left (usually very close to reading on controller) to rear right. Like any other pit I suppose in that regard as far as hot and cold spots.

Yes, my 570 showed discrepancies across the grates when I first got it. I played around with the temp calibration until I got things to where I wanted.

If you use a 3rd party temp probe and place it at the center rack using a wood block or a cork, that will help you to get a feel of how your grill's temp probe correlates with the center of the grill.

Better yet, if you have a temp measuring device with 3 probes on it, you can compare left, right and center grate positions and go from there if you need to.

But yes, you are indeed correct in that every pitt will have hot and cold spots to some degree.

Yes the interaction between some parties is almost like a really good sitcom.

It is, and always has been, entertaining to me to expose "know it alls" who really aren't.....and in fact who are in reality,.... "know nothings" .....as opposed to real, dyed in the wool, true blue, "know it alls" who tend to at least know something or at the very worst, ..... a little something.

In other words, I have some measure of respect for "know it alls" who at least "know something." ......... But not so much respect at all though, for "know it alls" who at the end of the day "know nothing",.... but who want everyone else to "think" that they do.

But to get any respect, well he at least has to know more than I know....has to know more than you know.....and has to know more than anyone else who has the unfortunate happenstance to come upon his tripe knows...and to this point, it is clear that he doesn't.

So now it falls to the reader to explain why they would put any stock into anything he says.

And so believe me when I tell you, when it comes to the interaction between one party in here, and no need to mention names..... I get immense entertainment.

Last edited:
At the end of the day it’s an outdoor oven fueled by pellets of dubious composition. Whatever makes us happy :)

At the end of the day it’s an outdoor oven fueled by pellets of dubious composition. Whatever makes us happy :)
Offset, charcoal/wood chunk cooker or otherwise at the end of the day is an outdoor oven fueled by one thing or another. And.....? I like them all! I am too lazy to go the stickburner route these days, but still like them as long as someone else is manning the pit. :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
So now it falls to the reader to explain why they would put any stock into anything he says.

And so believe me when I tell you, when it comes to the interaction between one party in here, and no need to mention names..... I get immense entertainment.

, “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.” Oh well, life is short. RAY

Reactions: DoubleBull
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky