New smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mleff6

Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
So, I am contemplating getting the smokey mountain 18.5" smoker. I need to know if it is worth it or not or if another brand performs better for the money? I originally started out with a brinkman gourmet charcoal smoker lol, but I recently bought a masterbuilt 40" bluetooth with window (the good generation), now im going to upgrade again but am hesitant. Also if i am unhappy with my maverick dual probe thermometer, i was wondering if the weber I2 is generally out performing that thermometer or what i should buy next?

I have the 22” WSM and I’m more than happy with it. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better longer lasting bullet style smoker. Is it worth the money... absolutely.

I also have the IGrill 2. It is bluetooth so range could be an issue. I’m in a condo so my patio is my backyard, range isn’t an issue for me. I do like having more than two temperature probes.

I'm a Weber man. You won't go wrong with the 18". It's coated in porcelain so it will last a very long time. Also their customer service is top notch.

Chris

If you can swing it I would go with the 22.5. I have owned all three sizes, but the only one I still have & use is the 22.5.
You will be glad to have the extra space. As for therms, I would look at a Thermoworks Smoke.
Al

Not much help with smokers you’re looking at (I have an OKJ Highland).
However as for therms, I want to also say the Thermoworks Smoke is great if you can get by with just 2 probes. Normally that’s all I need.
When I do need more probes, I also have an Inkbird with 4 probes.
It works good so far, but eats batteries like no tomorrow and the range is very limited in my experience. I can go anywhere in house with the Smoke with no issues, but the Bluetooth on the Inkbird I can’t.

Like the Maverick 733 but PIA if setting highs and lows. Very accurate. Just received my ThermPro TP 20. Test in boiling water, both probes at 211.
Much easier to program

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky