New smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roofy

Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Maryland
I recently purchased an unused older smoker made by Southwest Smokers out of Oklahoma. It is a vertical offset smoker. I have used this 3 times using apple wood. I am finding that the meat has too much of a smoke flavor. I keep the chimney wide open. Any suggestions as to how to cut back on the smoke flavor? Thanks.

Not sure what you use for a fire, but maybe just use less wood if that isn't your heat source. If it's a long smoke, don't add any wood after the initial chunks burn off.

Scott

I had been using just apple wood as my heat source. I will try charcoal as my heat source with some apple wood for smoke and flavor. I love this smoker and couldn't pass up the deal I made. I have been using a Brinkman for years but this offers more capacity and options. Thanks for your suggestion.

Darrin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky