new smoker weber smokey moutain-- need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You have a good smoker off the shelf. Here's a link for mods if you feel the need. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html. I don't know which model you have so i can't say what if any mods are needed. 1 mod i recommend regardless of model is add handles to your middle section.

The 1 main thing you will need is a good digital probe thermometer. Do some home work and buy a good 1 with good reviews. The maverick 732 seams to be getting great reviews might be a place to start. There are good thermometers out there at a good price, and are a must have item. 

A chimney charcoal starter is a nice accessory to have. Good pair heat resistant gloves is nice. Good set HD BBQ tools, tongs, spatula, fork. Grill brush for cleaning grate. Rubber gloves for pulling pork and handling hot meat.

Im sure im forgetting things but that's a start.

alright im looking at getting the Maverick ET732. I will be getting all of the others you said too. if you think of anymore please post them

Congrtas on the mew smoker.................
icon14.gif

Joe

Congrats and welcome.

You might consider getting some cheap towels or dish towels, the home boss
wife.gif
 hates it when I use some of hers.

I have a set of different utensils and such to avoid removing items from the kitchen.  A couple of cheap storage containers for miscellaneous items is a good idea too.

Last edited:
Smoke two butts and call me in the morning!!!

Craig

Sprky has all the right ideas. I'll disagree on one point, the chimney starter isn't "nice to have" it's downright vital! Oh, and repeat after me:

"I (state your name) Promise to never, ever in a millions years use any charcoal labeled as instant, matchlight or anything else containing petroleum products in my smoker. Amen"

icon_cool.gif

Well congrats on the new smoker and it's a good starter smoker to. I still have and use mine just for sausages, bacon and other low temp stuff. Now your list of basic tools should be 2 probe thermometers and a good pair of very heavy gloves (for changing out the chips) and a good camera (for taking pictures fpr \us out here and you to). I would also recommend that you sign up for the E-course it's free and will give you the basics of smoking meat.

Sprky has all the right ideas. I'll disagree on one point, the chimney starter isn't "nice to have" it's downright vital! Oh, and repeat after me:

"I (state your name) Promise to never, ever in a millions years use any charcoal labeled as instant, matchlight or anything else containing petroleum products in my smoker. Amen"
Your right it makes things so much easier, however there are other ways to do it just not as easy. And I second the no match light It's totally nasty in a smoker. Never even thought to mention that good call. 

Now your list of basic tools should be 2 probe thermometers and a good pair of very heavy gloves (for changing out the chips) and a good camera (for taking pictures fpr \us out here and you to). I would also recommend that you sign up for the E-course it's free and will give you the basics of smoking meat.
2 probe thermometers are very nice to have, I have at least 4, I was giving the basic get started list. Good call on the camera I knew I was forgetting things.

The WSM works just fine right out of the box, but the mod Craig listed is a very nice one for getting your temp. probes in and out. I suggest you get a few smokes under your belt with the WSM as is, then decide what if any changes you want to make. Also keep in mind that it will run hot the first couple of smokes, untill the residue build up seals up all the little cracks and crevises.

The WSM is pretty much a solid unit straight out of the box.  As Sprky posted earlier, the Virtual Weber site is geared mainly towards WSM owners and a great place to read a ton of posts and see lots of background info on how to use & modify a WSM.

After you have used it for a while, you may want to consider a power draft such as the BBQ Guru units.  A little pricey, but once you start using them on any charcoal burner you wonder how you ever lived without one. Several of us here use them and there are several brands & models out there.  But read up on the TVWBB site and get a few months worth of smoking under your belt first.

Last edited:
thanks for all the help everyone!

ill check out the bbq guru but like you said i want to learn what im doing first

Sounds like all the guys above have you covered for hot smoking accessories.  I also agree about the chimney starter being a must have.  You'll also want a good set of long handles tongs for working in the charcoal pan - adding chunks, etc.  That is truly a nice unit right out of the box.

Something you might want to consider for cold smoking in that bad boy is an A-Maze-N Pellet smoker (aka AMNPS).  If you want to smoke cheese, salt, nuts, fish in that Weber, the AMNPS might be a nice addition to the list.  There is a ton of info about the AMNPS on the forum and Todd - the owner- if one great guy! 

You don't have a location in your profile, so it's hard to say if cold smoking in that Weber would be conducive to your location....you may want to update that profile so we know your geography....

Just my very humble $0.02.

-Salt

Don't even think of buying "Match Light" or using any type of lighter fluid!!!

Go with the chimney starter.

Take two paper towels and spray them with oil (Pam of store brand non-stick spray works fine, or if you have oil in one of the spritzer bottles).  Crumple up the oiled paper towels and put them in the base of the starter and load the top with the amount of lump or brickette's you will need (can vary depending on the cooking method).  Light the paper towel and let convection do it's thing and light the coals for you.  Photo is from my first firing of the WSM in 2005.

01bef29a_100_1268.jpg

And to give you and idea of how hot the chimney gets, check this out (same smoke, no flash).  The chimney is actually glowing red hot.

I use a good thick pair of welders gloves from Home Depot when handling mine.  You can buy high dollar grill gloves, but the $15 to $20 welder gloves work just fine.

068ea3e0_100_1266.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky