New Smoker need some help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big woot

Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
Louisville, Ky
I just recently picked up a 500 gallon (I believe) propane smoker. The smoker and fire box is in amazing shape but it needs a new trailer. I am curious what size trailer i need to fit this or about how much it weighs. It currently is sitting on a old hey trailer and the front wheels turn. I can not go over 25 mph in my car or the trailer fish tails. I was looking at the 4X8 trailer at Harbor freight for $449. Says it can hold up to 1700 pounds. If i am thinking right this smoker right now should not weigh more than 1300lbs. Anyone have any suggestions?

If it's actually a 500g tank then you're looking at 900-1000 lbs for just the tank, with no dressings. Add in, racks, firebox, wood ,and other traveling items and your at what, 1500 ish?

I love harbor freight just as much as the next fella, but testing out the max load of any of their products seems risky at best.

Do you have the materials to fortify this trailer with extra steel? Or at least extra tires/suspenion? Then I say go for it. Their prices can't be beat, but you have to be cognisant of their limitations as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky