New smoker MES 2.5 - Pulled Pork not so juicy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Another vote here for extended time and always running exhaust wide open. Manage your temps at the bottom, not the top. This applies to any format of smoker.

Also, some butts aren't as great as others in the intramuscular fat Dept. If I we're you, I'd look into one of the finishing sauces for the other half when you do it.

I bought and smoked 100lbs of butts in June that were not so good in the quality Dept. Had to do a bunch ofof finishing tricks on them. Sometimes it happens.

Don't get discouraged. It's all about making the next one a little better than the one before it.

Also, pitch that smoking tray Bs and get you a mailbox mod. Way better.

Reactions: mikeperez
Some thing to add in about finishing sauce;

I do not sauce my pulled pork, people can sauce their own, I keep it unadorned because pulled pork can be repurposed for a ton of different things:
*Pulled Pork burritos or tacos.
*Use it in fried rice.
*Eggrolls
*Stews
*Stroganoff

If you don't have one yet, you might want to invest in a vaccum sealer ;)

^^^ agree with that 100% when you have a good smoke, but sometimes some people get stuck with a bad cut or lack the experience to get that great smoke.

It's simply my contention that a solid finishing strategy can help mask the undesirable parts of a subpar cook.

Another vote here for extended time and always running exhaust wide open. Manage your temps at the bottom, not the top. This applies to any format of smoker.

Also, some butts aren't as great as others in the intramuscular fat Dept. If I we're you, I'd look into one of the finishing sauces for the other half when you do it.

I bought and smoked 100lbs of butts in June that were not so good in the quality Dept. Had to do a bunch ofof finishing tricks on them. Sometimes it happens.

Don't get discouraged. It's all about making the next one a little better than the one before it.

Also, pitch that smoking tray Bs and get you a mailbox mod. Way better.
How should the smoke look when coming out of the exhaust? When do you add the chips, after the smoker has warmed up? is the heavy smoke haze a good thing?

I want to know what the thin blue smoke looks like. I had a family member (has a great palate) say that there is a bit of bitter after taste to the meat. I suspect this to be due to too much smoke.

Mike'
Here is a great picture of Blue smoke in this case it is not thin but it is blue
full

With your MES it should be visible but not too thick coming out of your of your wide open vent.
This picture has been floating around the forum for many years.

I tried the pork butt again this weekend with much better results. The meat was juicy and tender. The bark was better. I just ate some for lunch, and it was still juicy.

Here's what I changed:
1. Used olive oil as binder, instead of mustard.
2. I let it rest in the fridge uncovered.
3. smoked it at 225 for 9.5hrs until it reached 205F.
4. Let is rest for one hours.

Thanks for all your help. People who tried it, complemented the meat. People at work came to the break room to see where the amazing BBQ smell was coming from.

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks guys.

Did I tell you I bought my MES used for $100? It looked pretty dirty. I tried to clean a bit, especially the door. My family member who previously said the meat had a bitter aftertaste said that the second pork butt still had the bitter aftertaste but not as much as the first one.

I used the amazen tube with hickory, and did not use wood chips. I opened the wood chip tray about 2 inches. I did not taste the bitterness, but I trust her taste buds.

Do you think creosote may be causing the bitter aftertaste? I thought the amazen tube took care of this issue.

I have good coffee taste buds, and I can taste sour vs bitter in coffee, but I didn't taste bitterness in this meat.

I've read some thread on creosote, but still unclear if I have it in my smoker.

Doubt it is creosote. I'd trust my nose. If smoker smells good, it is. If there was only one complaint then I’d say isolated case of sensitivity. Some people don’t like PP with heavy bark and prefer it like crock pot made and they are weirdos. :p

That's the best way to get good: repetition.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky