New smoker help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GetnSmokey

Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
Hi. new guy here.
Only stuff I know about smoking is what I have exhaustively read online.
I now want to take the plunge.
need a beginner smoker.
(searched several topics looking for recommendations for smokers)
Ok
300$ price range
Think I want either electric or propane. As the others look a lil too complicated for me just yet.
not smoking for competition or large gatherings. Just a family of three and maybe a guest or few. Not huge cuts either
i know some smokers have problems in the cold so am ready to get a blanket or make a lil shed or even set it in the pole barn and vent it outside. (Central Michigan)
Any good recommendations to help my bleeding eyes will help.
ty

I’m a big fan of my Masterbuilt Electric, 30”.(MES30)

Electric is a great entry point. It was for me.
30” is big enough to smoke for a small family, but the machine is not too big.

If you catch the bug, you can even upgrade it with their Slow Smoker attachment, which allows you to do cold smokes and you don’t have to keep refilling your wood chips.

I am partial to the Smokin-it electric smokers. While even their smallest unit is above your $300 budget I am linking to their analog and not their digital models just in case you get a big tax refund.

Reactions: GetnSmokey
Welcome to the site, I vote electric, its tuff chasing temps with a gas unit ,as the day gets warmer or cooler you have to start adjusting, on hot days I always fought the high temps

Hi. new guy here.
Only stuff I know about smoking is what I have exhaustively read online.
I now want to take the plunge.
need a beginner smoker.
(searched several topics looking for recommendations for smokers)
Ok
300$ price range
Think I want either electric or propane. As the others look a lil too complicated for me just yet.
not smoking for competition or large gatherings. Just a family of three and maybe a guest or few. Not huge cuts either
i know some smokers have problems in the cold so am ready to get a blanket or make a lil shed or even set it in the pole barn and vent it outside. (Central Michigan)
Any good recommendations to help my bleeding eyes will help.
ty
I too am a fan of the MES30. I bought first one several years ago to augment charcoal unit. It's great in that you can cook great food & as long as you pay attention get great results. I've smoked throughout winter in CAnada.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky