New Smoker From Philly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kratos

Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
First things first. Great site and great forum really clarified some questions I had about smoking.

Last w/e bought myself a CharGriller Super Pro with Fire Side Box. Used it to do basic BBQ. I was hoping to do some smokin this w/e and use my Fire Side Box. I guess my question is where would I go to pick up the woods for smoking? Would I use chips or logs?

Thanks for the site and forum great place for reference.

Welcome Kratos,

Some of the folks that use an offset may be better able to answer questions specific to your smoker. I have found that chunks work better than chips. Home depot and Lowes sometimes have chunks. I don't know if there are any in your area. I have gotten chunks at Gander Mountain and a local hardware store. I didn't see that they carried them until after I bought my GOSM and became aware of BBQ wood supplies.

Good luck. Have fun. Ask lots of questions. These folks know smoke. Please consider taking Jeff's 5-Day E-course on smoking

Regards,

Meowey

Hey Kratos,
Not sure if you're right in Philly or outside, but yes, home depot and lowes do carry them. A true value store by me also has chunks...If you feel like taking a Sunday drive, Cabela's has a huge store up near Hamburg, probably take maybe 1:15 from Philly. It's worth the drive. They have an outdoor cooking section that's awesome...We got 3 huge bags of different chunk wood, maple, apple, hickory. They have all kinds of mixes for doing your own sausage or jerky. Different types of smokers...It's an awesome place. They have a fish tank area that has all kinds of native fish, its HUGE, you walk through it actually. But you should be able to find some at the depot..

Shellbellc I am from Northeast Philly. Yep know of Cabela's buddy has been trying to get me out there for a while. Not a camper or one of those live off the land type of guys my idea of roughing it is taking all of my stuff outside.

Will now go to Cabela's to find the wood.

Thanks

You won't regret it..They have one of the biggest collections of mountings. The have like a mountain in the middle of the place that has all kinds of animals on it. They have one room that if full of world record deer mountings, both typical and non-typical. Take your cc, I didn't realize how much I threw into my cart...I'm not a camper or hunter either but I spent a lot of money there! If you go on-line to cabelas.com you might be able to find some of the smoker and grill stuff they have...

JoeD617,

Thanks never thought about that option going to lay down a bed of Charcoal and use chunks.

Welcome to the site Kratos. I also smoke with the side fire box, lump charcoal and wood chunks. I get my chunks at Super Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Bass Pro Shop... I have not yet purchased on line, but have looked. You can get ANY kind of wood, in any form for reasonable prices on the web. Keep us posted on your future smokes, post pictures, and enjoy!! Welcome!

Kratos..

Hello and Welcome...Glad to have ya here...
Try to find your chunks locally...I have had an order for chunks from Cabelas on back order for about a month now...check out their web site...and you will see that all flavors are backordered....

Good Luck

Later
Richard

Kratos, Welcome to SMF-we're glad to help you get going in your new hobby. If you have questions about what wood to use (chips, chunks, sticks or logs), check out the "Woods for Smoking" forum in the Smoker Supply and Equipment Section.

If you haven't already checked into it, looking to tulsajeff's 5-day eCourse. There is a lot of good info to be had there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky