New smoker coming

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ofelles

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 16, 2019
Brentwood CA
After doing a lot of research I decided a charcoal cabinet smoker would work better for me than a stick burner. I pulled the trigger yesterday on a LSG large insulated cabinet. Now comes the hard part about 10 weeks wait! Really looking forward to getting and cooking on this beast.
1580236534360.png

Congratulations. Checked them out on the web and looks like a really nice smoker. I particularly liked that each one is hand made (hence the 10-week wait). I'll be interested in following up to see how it cooks. Do let us know.

will do
Congratulations. Checked them out on the web and looks like a really nice smoker. I particularly liked that each one is hand made (hence the 10-week wait). I'll be interested in following up to see how it cooks. Do let us know.

definitely will do

Will Squared and 73saint thanks for the likes

Reactions: Will Squared
Wow!! I'll take one please :emoji_wink: I just don't have the patience to go through that again. It took about that long to get my T-Pit built and I about went out of my mind waiting. Great looking smoker though!! Congrats.

Robert

Looks an lbs sounds like a beast! Around 2500 sq inches of cooking space with 4 racks? I am curious what led you to this brand over others? Looks nice, I added them to my bookmarks on smoker builders. Holds 40 lbs of charcoal? Wowza that’s a load too!

Reactions: ofelles
Damn!! 40# of charcoal? I have no idea how long that'll last in this smoker but in the BGE doing low and slow, that would burn for about 2 months :emoji_astonished: My Rec Tec holds 40# of pellets and averages about 1# per hour. I'm glad too because I'm putting a brisket on Friday evening for dinner Saturday. Been waiting a LONG time to do a brisket on the Bull, and a Certified Piedmontese brisket no less. Gonna be fun but I plan to take a look at your smoker. I may have another purchase in my future. That looks like an amazing cooker!!

Robert

Damn!! 40# of charcoal? I have no idea how long that'll last in this smoker but in the BGE doing low and slow, that would burn for about 2 months :emoji_astonished: My Rec Tec holds 40# of pellets and averages about 1# per hour. I'm glad too because I'm putting a brisket on Friday evening for dinner Saturday. Been waiting a LONG time to do a brisket on the Bull, and a Certified Piedmontese brisket no less. Gonna be fun but I plan to take a look at your smoker. I may have another purchase in my future. That looks like an amazing cooker!!

Robert
I think LSG says it will roll around 36 hours!

Looks an lbs sounds like a beast! Around 2500 sq inches of cooking space with 4 racks? I am curious what led you to this brand over others? Looks nice, I added them to my bookmarks on smoker builders. Holds 40 lbs of charcoal? Wowza that’s a load too!

I wanted the charcoal/wood profile so that ruled out electric and gas. I want quality and efficiency so that ruled out non-insulated and cheap. Spent some time reading people's reviews of different cabinets. I looked at the websites and asked some questions of the builders. Some of the builders didn't make a model in the size I wanted or the cost was very high for that size. The gravity feed units require you to add the wood separately and a few people said the flavor profile was not as good. In some of the units you must use water to cook. Having spent 40 years as a sheet metal guy I looked closely as the gauges of the materials, the welding and overall construction.

After looking a quite a few builders I was able to narrow it down to Pitmaker, TK Smokers and Lone Star Grillz, with Pitmaker running a close third. Both Pitmaker and LSG offered carts with shelves. Tk did not but it's construction was up there with LSG.

In the end I went with LSG because the fit and finish is exceptional and the fact that I had not heard a bad review of their offset smokers. I will be able to run up to 50/50 charcoal and wood. The grates are not expanded metal but nickel plated bars. The water pan, though built in, is 1/4" steel. Plus I heard their customer service was outstanding. They were very response to my questions, answering them completely with reasons why they build it the way they do.

Reactions: jcam222
I wanted the charcoal/wood profile so that ruled out electric and gas. I want quality and efficiency so that ruled out non-insulated and cheap. Spent some time reading people's reviews of different cabinets. I looked at the websites and asked some questions of the builders. Some of the builders didn't make a model in the size I wanted or the cost was very high for that size. The gravity feed units require you to add the wood separately and a few people said the flavor profile was not as good. In some of the units you must use water to cook. Having spent 40 years as a sheet metal guy I looked closely as the gauges of the materials, the welding and overall construction.

After looking a quite a few builders I was able to narrow it down to Pitmaker, TK Smokers and Lone Star Grillz, with Pitmaker running a close third. Both Pitmaker and LSG offered carts with shelves. Tk did not but it's construction was up there with LSG.

In the end I went with LSG because the fit and finish is exceptional and the fact that I had not heard a bad review of their offset smokers. I will be able to run up to 50/50 charcoal and wood. The grates are not expanded metal but nickel plated bars. The water pan, though built in, is 1/4" steel. Plus I heard their customer service was outstanding. They were very response to my questions, answering them completely with reasons why they build it the way they do.
Excellent homework you did. It certainly looks like a beauty. I love my charcoal cabinet.

Reactions: ofelles
Just received an email From Lone Star Grillz. They have started fabrication of my unit! They said 10 to 14 business days to fab and then ship from Texas to California. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Excited!

Reactions: joetee and jcam222
It's suppose to be here Friday next week. It was in El Paso, TX this morning.
Waiting, waiting, waiting!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky