New Smoker and Member

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishnjeeps

Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Hello! I just purchased a new Pit Boss Series 3 Propane Smoker (The Red one)and just finished my first Pork Shoulder on it. Used Weber's Chocolate Rub with no binder and used bourbon barrel chips and hickory chips. I usually smoke on my gas Nexgrill with a triangle smoke box but I was eating propane way too fast. Had some issues with the chips flaming out despite my having wet them prior to using them. I also had an issue with the chamber temps dropping drastically after 10 hours. Went from 275* down to 170*. still plenty of propane so I didn't run out of gas. I think switching out to my 30lb tank might help with the longer cooks. Meat is resting now so I'll post a pic of it in the morning. Hope to learn as much as possible while i'm around here.

Reactions: kruizer
Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Congrats on the new smoker purchase. You'll find lots of good info, recipes, and people here. You might want to get an amazen smoker to produce your smoke it's much better than messing with chips.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky