New smokehouse build for a brand new smoker, based off of pops6927's thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Acw1987

Original poster
Oct 15, 2018
Started with the burner from Northern Tool and Equipment
01.jpg

Concrete pad below the 100+ year old windmill that will serve as home
1.jpg
2.jpg

The cedar 4x4 fence posts that have been sitting around for a while waiting for a project, I ended up cutting them down to length, splitting them into 2x4s on the table saw, and planing the edges, and doing biscuits with the router to make the walls.

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

Screwing together what will be the floor.

15.jpg

Got tired of biscuits so I went with glue and pocket screws for the roof...

16.jpg

Base/sides/roof/floor looking good on the pad. For a 100 year old slab I was shocked that it was level.

17.jpg

Decided to cut down the posts to about 3/4'' and plane them a bunch for the door insets, turned out even nicer than expected.

18.JPG
19.JPG

Doors attached/bottom vent holes drilled/screen on the inside/and slider to adjust airflow installed.

20.jpg

Drilling holes and splitting boards to hold the pipes that will support drip trays/pans/hooks.

21.jpg
22.jpg

Mailbox attachment to hold A-Maze-N pellet maze.

23.jpg
24.jpg

Seeing hot it can get on a chilly MN morning. Went all the way up just shy of 400 F

25.JPG
26.jpg

Finished product as well as the first smoke, just a couple of whole chickens, turned out really well.

27.JPG
28.jpg

Great looking Smokehouse!!! Great build and craftsmanship on that as well. Definite Like!!!

Its a smoke house isn't it. :rolleyes: :D

Just sayin...
"...to break. The rate at which the bonds are broken
increases as the temperature increases. Between 100°C
and 200ºC, noncombustible products, such as carbon
dioxide, traces of organic compounds and water
vapor, are produced. Above 200ºC the celluloses
break down, producing tars and flammable volatiles
that can diffuse into the surrounding environment. If
the volatile compounds are mixed with air and heated
to the ignition temperature, combustion reactions
occur. The energy from these exothermic reactions
radiates to the solid material, thereby propagating the
combustion, or pyrolysis, reactions. If the burning
mixture accumulates enough energy to emit radiation
in the visible spectrum, the phenomenon is known as
flaming combustion (seeFire and Wood).Above
450ºC all volatile material is gone."

200*C = 392*F....

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1989/levan89a.pdf

I looked all this up when I build my cypress wood smokehouse....

Awc1987, from the pictures, are the holes in the back of the smokehouse your only exhaust vents?? If so, you might consider allowing for more air flow with larger exhaust vents. This will help cycle more air and help reduce creasote condensation which will give a bitter taste to your smoked meats. Remember that as air heats up, it expands so a smokehouse needs a larger exhaust that intake to allow for this. I had to increase the size of my vents to (2) 3" holes.

My intakes are (2) 2" holes.

Absolutely LOVE your smokehouse build. Kudos on the craftsmanship...outstanding!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky