New RF smoker project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqfoodexpress

Original poster
Jan 25, 2022
Hello there,
I am new to this forum (thanks for adding me) and I am very positively surprissed by the tonns of information here.
I live in the Netherlands and have my own barbecue catering business.
I have build my smoker 4 years ago
0cd00241-9f16-4beb-83c2-027403dcf767.JPG

Here name is Miss Piggy and weight approx 2000 kilos
This is my mobile smoker but I want to build a stationairy RF smoker behind my kitchen for preparing smoked food.
I found the tutorial (what a great info!!) and hope I can ask some advise on this forum along the project on details..
I got my eyes on a tube 150 cm long, 61 cm in diameter and 8 millimeters thick. (sorry for the metric info)
If you want to help , pls follow my thread, I will keep you posted

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Ron Alflen (Utrecht, The Netherlands)

First question: grease drainage vs airflow
I need to calculate the dimensions lateron but I am figuring out how to make the grease flow to the drain pipe without interupting the airflow. I can think of 3 options:
1. Let the entire CC slope so grease will flow... not a nice view I think but that way the opening under the RF plate is the same size from FB to the front, however what influence has a sloping smoke space on the flow??
2. I can keep the cc level and let the RF plat slope. but the the space for the airflow is more at the FB and less on the other end... not good for the flow either. I could let the RF plate start about an inch above the FB/CC hole so I end with the calullate measurements at the end... would that work?
3. use a double floor... increase in costs and weight

or should I just let it burn on the bottom :-)

I am thinking of a design the guides or pushes the grease to the drain pipe, somthing like this. Would that work?

Looking forward to your input,
Thanks
Ron
1643324965435.png

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to your new addiction (the forums).. As you said.. this place is LOADED with information... Your smoker is almost as cool as mine (build thread in signature below).. but then again.. I'm biased ...lol...

I could let the RF plate start about an inch above the FB/CC hole so I end with the calullate measurements at the end..

I did as you said in number 2.. just kept the opening at the end at the calculated measurement ...

Reactions: bbqfoodexpress
Holy cow! My daughter lives in Utrecht!

If it wasn’t for COVID, we would be visiting this spring. How do I find you?

Reactions: bbqfoodexpress
Holy cow! My daughter lives in Utrecht!

If it wasn’t for COVID, we would be visiting this spring. How do I find you?
Have you ever visited my little city? we have ancient buildings and canals with terasses . very nice specially in the summer
contactdetails are on my website www.bbqfoodexpress.nl or facebook.com/bbqfoodexpress

Keith,

I think I will go for the same solution as you have re. the RF plate
Thnx
Ron

Welcome to your new addiction (the forums).. As you said.. this place is LOADED with information... Your smoker is almost as cool as mine (build thread in signature below).. but then again.. I'm biased ...lol...

I did as you said in number 2.. just kept the opening at the end at the calculated measurement ...

Have you ever visited my little city?

Yes! We would have been visiting this spring except for COVID. They are trying to buy a house. If they start having kids, we are going to sell our sailboat and get a canal barge. Nice to know there will be good bbq!

First sketches are done, I have lots of questions and will handle them in different replies
So first impression... yep, it looks like a smoker.
For the dimensions I have gratefully applied what I learned on this forum and I found the online smoker build calculator
1643564630776.png

the RF plate is not level so grease will flow to the drainpipe . I will use not extremely thick and heavy steelplat for the FB (about 1/4 inch). but the FB will be isolated on the insite with heat resistant plates of 1 inch.

Are there any guidelines re. the length of the chimney inside the CC?
I designed the pipe cutoff 45 degrees, is that assumption correct?
I learned of the comments from daveomak daveomak that there should be no exhaust damper in the chimney... so will leave that out :-)
1643567594364.png

Last edited:
For the insulation of the firebox I am planning to apply VERMICULITE PLATE.
1 inch thick, easy to cut with a handsaw
Any advise on that?
1643568629858.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky