New Rec Tec Stampede

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skooter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
NE Ohio
I broke down and bought a pellet grill and couldn’t be happier. WiFi controller with two meat probes. I’ve done a couple overnight cooks and the graph on the phone shows it didn’t vary 2 degrees! Made pizzas on it at 540 degrees in 15 degree weather. I highly recommend Rec Tec if you’re considering a pellet grill.

Everyone raves about their customer service, I haven’t needed anything from them yet myself. Heard lots of people say that they even cover things out of warranty.

Congrats,love to have some shelfs my self,reckon I will build some this spring when it gets warm enuf to work outside

Grats on the Stampede, I'm real close from choosing the stampede myself. One thing holding me back, the lack of a front or right side shelf.
I added a folding shelf to the front of mine with these nice marine Stainless Steel folding shelf brackets from Amazon.
Amarine-made Heavy Duty Polished... I’ll post a picture this weekend.

I just have a piece of 2 x 12 on it right now but I’m finishing off a nice piece of live edge Cherry to replace it soon. This is the folding shelf brackets I mentioned above.
upload_2019-1-25_19-0-36.jpeg
upload_2019-1-25_19-3-0.jpeg
upload_2019-1-25_19-1-52.jpeg

I like the shelf, have the brackets saved on Amazon, ordered the Stampede today, now comes the long wait for it to arrive. I live in Washington State so hopefully see it next week.

Last edited:
I like the shelf, have the brackets saved on Amazon, ordered the Stampede today, now comes the long wait for it to arrive. I live in Washington State so hopefully see it next week.
I’ve seen pics of all different kinds of shelf materials. I saw one guy used aluminum diamond plate.

Do you have any pictures of some of the ones you found? And also suggestions on places to get them from? I finding diamond plate at Lowes that's 24" x 30", but that seems like you would be standing too far away from the Stampede. Need something about 12" x 30" and don't really have a way to cut diamond plate.

Thanks!

Yeah I decided that 12 x 30 would be deep enough. As far as a source for diamond plate goes, I would just call a local sheet metal fabricator, they usually have drops left over from previous jobs and are usually glad to cut to size for you for cash.

Yeah I decided that 12 x 30 would be deep enough. As far as a source for diamond plate goes, I would just call a local sheet metal fabricator, they usually have drops left over from previous jobs and are usually glad to cut to size for you for cash.

Ok, thanks. I called a fabricating shop and they said the diamond plate that size and 1/4" thick would be about 25-30 lbs and were worried about it rusting with food, etc being put and/or potentially spilled on it. Has that been an issue for you and does the grill become font heavy? They offered a solution of 304 stainless steel 1/16" thick that would run about $50 for 12" x 30", but suggested needing some kind of underbracing, etc so it doesn't bend or warp. They can bend flanges or bracing, but the price goes up substantially. Any suggestions?

I went for the Bull. love it! cant be too big - bahahahaha. Love it!!

I'm curious, why do you want a 1/4 inch thick metal for that? I would go with what they recommend and put a piece of wood underneath it to brace it.
Ok, thanks. I called a fabricating shop and they said the diamond plate that size and 1/4" thick would be about 25-30 lbs and were worried about it rusting with food, etc being put and/or potentially spilled on it. Has that been an issue for you and does the grill become font heavy? They offered a solution of 304 stainless steel 1/16" thick that would run about $50 for 12" x 30", but suggested needing some kind of underbracing, etc so it doesn't bend or warp. They can bend flanges or bracing, but the price goes up substantially. Any suggestions?
I would go with 1/8” aluminum diamond plate. 1/4” is a bit of overkill. If you want to go with stainless, the 1/16” would be fine with just the front edge bent down. That should stiffen it up plenty. In fact I think that’s what I may go with after all.

I'm curious, why do you want a 1/4 inch thick metal for that? I would go with what they recommend and put a piece of wood underneath it to brace it.

I would go with 1/8” aluminum diamond plate. 1/4” is a bit of overkill. If you want to go with stainless, the 1/16” would be fine with just the front edge bent down. That should stiffen it up plenty. In fact I think that’s what I may go with after all.

OK, thanks for your suggestions. I just asked what this particular fabricator had in diamond plate and they told me they had 1/4".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky