New Rec Tec RT 700 arrives Thursday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rectecin'

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
So never worked a smoker in my life, but I feel like I can't live without one anymore. My two favorite non lobster related things in the world are brisket, and ribs. I did a bunch of research, and finally pulled the trigger on a rec tec 700. It seemed to be the best reviewed, and had the most features in the price range my wife would sign off on. I can't wait to work on my brisket game. I bought the smoker box attachment so I should have plenty of room for everything in there.

I also bought the 200 pounds of pellets package. I wanted to be able to get up and running quick, but I understand the pellets can make all the difference. Does anyone have any experience with rec tec pellets? Are they as high quality as I hope? I have heard good things about q pellets, so once I burn thorough those, I may switch..... But I feel like 200 pounds are going to last me some time.

Congrats on the purchase. I've had the RecTec 680 for about 18 months and it's been great. I used one bag of their Ultimate Blend. I believe CookinPellets actually makes them for RecTec. They are decent pellets but after trying many different brands and woods my go to is Lumberjack 100% hickory. I get the most flavor from those. I also like the Lumberjack Pecan blend for brisket.

Reactions: Rectecin'
Thanks! I heard good things about the lumberjack. Apparently the guy that started q pellets worked for them, and now has his own company.

Congrats on the purchase. I've had the RecTec 680 for about 18 months and it's been great. I used one bag of their Ultimate Blend. I believe CookinPellets actually makes them for RecTec. They are decent pellets but after trying many different brands and woods my go to is Lumberjack 100% hickory. I get the most flavor from those. I also like the Lumberjack Pecan blend for brisket.

Also, thanks for tip on flavors for cooking. I love hickory, cherry, and apple. I just need to figure out what goes where for types of wood to smoke what types of food.

The wife LIVES for smoked salmon. That's why I bought the smoker box. I want to make her salmon while I make brisket and ribs for me and the kids without turning it into jerky with too much heat.

What kind flavor pellet would be good for both brisket and salmon?

Keep us posted on your new smoker. Did you get the competition cart as well? B

I did not. I doubt I will be competing in much of anything.... and it shouldn't have to move all that much. Just around the yard to keep it out of the sun when cooking.

The rec tec pellets are half oak and half hickory, IIRC. It would not surprise me if they were made by cookinpellets, considering their similar appearance. Both rec tec and cookinpellets are now looking expensive compared to lumberjack.

100% hickory might be too strong for salmon.

Reactions: Rectecin'
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky