New Rec-Tec not very Happy with it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
2thumbs.gif

I did talk to rec tec on my lunch break Friday. I am not sure who I talked to but the rep said it was a known problem and he did apologize and said they tried to get all the problem grills pulled so they did not send out the problem grills.He told me to take a piece of would and push down by the bolts that hold in the control panel ,in his words it was an easy fix not worth sending back for.I did what he said it took quite a bit of pressure but I did get mine to set level. In my opion the z channel was put on upside down the lower leg is about 3fourths of an inch the top leg is over 1 inch. If you were to spin the z channel around that would lower the position of the drip pan. Just my opion. However my grill is still reading over 30 degrees different than my maverick that I did calabrate. my question to anyone with a rec tec,is this normal. Thanks jim

It was very hard for me to get the bracket to move.... not at all a "slight push"  But I too got mine level.  As for the temp with my maverick in the center of the grill it was within a degree or two at all times this was when cooking around 225.  I haven't tried testing any other temp.

Last edited:
I to just got a rec tec with the same issue. I called and they told me to bend the bracket down which i tried but my rack still rest on my grate which does not seem normal. Does anyone know how far below the grate the drip pan should sit?

Might be calling for a replacement tomorrow.

I just received my Rec Tec 680 on Friday 8/5 and it too has the issue of the drip pan sitting higher than the grill grates on the right side. Looks to be about 1/2". I sent an email to Rec Tec. I'm hesitant to take a hammer to the support bracket...seems like it would require quite a bit of force to lower it at all.

Let me know what they ended up telling you.

I ended up taking a couple crescent wrenches and just bending it down instead of trying to hammer on it.

I ended up with a replacement. Had crazy hot spots and cool spots. New one still had to be bent down slightly but no crazy hot and cool spots.

I haven't noticed any hotspots that I can tell.  this weekend I had bacon across the whole cooking surface and it all seemed to cook even.

Told me to bend the bracket using channel locks. Might try to this weekend but the grill seems to cook fine...so far I've cooked brisket, shoulder, bacon and pizza with excellent results.

Wow guys! After returning my 3 month old defective Traeger Elite just this weekend, I've been reading the comments throughout this site for some direction for my next purchase. Just when I think I found a comfortable replacement, I read threads like this one on Rec Tec that shake my confidence. The last thing I want to go through again is endless calls to the mfg trying to resolve quality control issues. I can't tell you how many weeks I went not able to grille waiting on replacement parts from Traeger. Thank God I bought locally so I had a place to finally just return it (Home Depot) and save on shipping cost. I'll keep reading to uncover a solution. I hope you guys get your situation resolved. I just want to enjoy my grilling experience with confidence in my investment and pride in consistent tasty results. Is that too much to ask from a manufacturer?

I was on the fence between the Rec Tec and the

Wow guys! After returning my 3 month old defective Traeger Elite just this weekend, I've been reading the comments throughout this site for some direction for my next purchase. Just when I think I found a comfortable replacement, I read threads like this one on Rec Tec that shake my confidence. The last thing I want to go through again is endless calls to the mfg trying to resolve quality control issues. I can't tell you how many weeks I went not able to grille waiting on replacement parts from Traeger. Thank God I bought locally so I had a place to finally just return it (Home Depot) and save on shipping cost. I'll keep reading to uncover a solution. I hope you guys get your situation resolved. I just want to enjoy my grilling experience with confidence in my investment and pride in consistent tasty results. Is that too much to ask from a manufacturer?

I was on the fence between the Rec Tec and the Yoder, It was this thread specifically the comment about the facebook post that sealed it for me. I should get the Yoder next month. 

Just in case anyone from that organization see's this, I understand no product is with out defects. sweeping negative comments under the carpet instead of specifically addressing them only leads to distrust.

Ben is a heck of a nice guy. Spoke with him a few times.
Ive never meet him, When I was shopping for a pellet pooper, a buddy of mine who has a Rec Tec and said he loves it, most of the reviews are clearly positive. But when I am doing my due diligence, I always check out their FB page. I expect to find negative posts, you cant please everyone... but when I see a negative post fallowed by a reply by the company trying to make it right, that get a Big Gold Star in my book. When I heard the opposite, well I simply voted with my wallet. Im not on a witch hunt, Im hoping my comment be taken  in the vein it was meant. that being improving relationships with customers is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: dangood
Yeah I am going to give Rec Tec a call tomorrow. It just kills me that I spent over $1000 on a smoker and I am already having temperature issues.. I just want my Rec Tec to function properly like everyone else's Rec Tec. Is that too much to ask for?

Last edited:
No its not, Pellet poopers have their own set of issues. At one point I thought Oh Crap ... My yoder is acting squirrely! temps are off,things are taking WAY to long to cook... Turned out I was placing my amazin tube right under where the yoder's temp probe was. So it thought it was hotter in the cook chamber than it was, cooling off the cook chamber. Keep your fire box clean, make sure nothing interrupts your air flow around the heat deflector...

Yeah I am going to give Rec Tec a call tomorrow. It just kills me that I spent over $1000 on a smoker and I am already having temperature issues.. I just want my Rec Tec to function properly like everyone else's Rec Tec. Is that too much to ask for?
Just saw on the news...$4.5 million Lamborghini Veneno's being recalled, all 9 of them. Now that's some folks that should be able to expect perfection!

As for the rest of us that save all year for a $1000 toy? I feel your pain...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky