New project as a humble beginning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Picked up this 250 gallon diesel fuel tank for $100.00 yesterday. Trying to decide to go vertical or lay it over and put buttrfly lids on it. Should have a trailer by Sept. and a buddy is looking to give me his fried 30 gallon air compressor for a firebox.
cd210f58_smokertank712010.jpg
Here's one my son built a few years ago:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/91352/275-gallon-oil-tank-pig-smoker

Bearcarver

I did think about that. The problem I ran into is after I pu it on the trailer the bottom door would open just below my beltline. I woory about leaning over the hot lid to work on the meat. This design is subject to change at anytime though so keep the ideas coming. I still haven't shut this idea out. I just want to see what the mechanics will look like after raising it 17" on the trailer.

SCORE!!!! I found 8 hinges in one of my "I might need this someday" drawers. They are old door hinges but if it works it works. They seem to be welding on OK so far. It's more fun to "recycle" thatn to buy new anyway. If ya can't have fun go home, right?
d47e90d6_0717101151a_349876.jpg

rgacat,

Thanks for the input. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I think I'll make a 17" stand to see how it will operate at the final ride height. 

Food for thought. I'm thinking about locating my firebox on the back, centered. I thought I could run my RF plate slanted from the middle toward both ends bringing the smoke up from each end and helping to distribute even heat. Any comments good or bad from someone with build experience???

Not sure if you will get the same effect that way. The smoke may try to rise up the ends toward the roof instead of across the grate. I really don't know, just tossing an idea out there.

BTW. I like the look with it sitting up the way you have it. Was there a reason you didn't open the doors from center to the left and right. (Like a suicide doors on an old car?

I originally had it that way. With the curve toward the top of the tank I would have alot more fab work to make the doors work. I think I'm gonna go with another suggestion from this thread and cut the door again horizontally and open the bottom half down. Not as much fab and would really work well if I was just using the bottom rack. 

I thought about putting 2 larger stacks toward the middle above the lowest rack. Otherwise I will stick with three or four smaller ones spread across the back if I make my opening toward the front. Thanks, I'll take all the input I can get. This is my first build but you know the deal.... Go big or go home!!

The thing is, there are no mistakes in smoker building. You will end up with a note book full of notes for the next build. And each build will be just a little better then the first. Long as it makes smoke and cooks then its all good.

It shows that I haven't welded in 25 years and that I wasn't a great welder then. Good thing I have plenty of welding to do on this. Maybe my welds will look good by the time I'm done.  
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Got a chance to get the hinges welded on. I should have the doors cut the rest of the way out this week. I'll post more pics when I don't forget my camera.

Thats pretty cool.  My husband has been telling me for awhile now he wil build me a smoker.  I am either sending him to your house or tom37 for a kick in the butt to get going. 

THE DOORS ARE OPEN FINALLY!!!!!!

I'm planning o making the shelves so I can move them around for ribs or butts. I'm looking at 5 total rght now.

df778684_0727101126a_337120.jpg

Looking good.  Can't wait to see the shelves.  Then it will start falling together. Are you still planning on the fire box in the middle back?..

Keep the pictures comming.  Like this build! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I think that's my best bet. I've seen some folks do a side box on a tak like this and they end up putting a box on each end. The best option I found so far is using a 55 gallon drum for a firebox. I plan on putting it in the back and tucking it undr as far as I can to use as much radiant heat as possible since it will be undersized. Hoping to get the barrell this weekend. I'm open to ideas if anyone has other thoughts. I use alot of Hedgewood to make coals so my fire burns pretty hot by nature. I'm hoping that will help make up for the lack of size.

I am using a pressure tank cutting it down to 42" its 3/16th of inch thick dropping it 4 inches down from the bottom of the trailer.

Awesome looking build!  personally I think trying reverse flow may be difficult with the shape of the smoke chamber.  I would just do multiple pipes and make heat deflectors to even out the temps.  I would definately make the racks pull out.  The 55 gallon firebox may be a bit small.  My excell sheet for smokers say's you need just over 6000 Cubic inches of firebox, and a 55 gallon is just over 4000.  As a general rul the firebox needs to be about 1/3 of the size of the smoke chamber.  The excel sheet can help with a lot of the numbers you will be needing.  PM me your email and I will send you a copy. 

Fourashleys, try vertical and get some manure spreader chain and make it a merry go round!

Lot's of people here in Ohio use them,with a side firebox,it would be great!

have fun and,

If I don't find a tank soon I'll just build a box myself. Got a friend who wants one with a rotary in it but not for me. I get dizzy tooo easy!!!
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky