New Platform - What do you think?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What do you think about the new platform?

• It's ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love it

• I don't like it at all

• I'm not sure yet.. I'll let you know later

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well my thought was that it would give an option to change the forum to look like it did before in a classic view, to make it easier to read for those use to the old forum, and/or not aas comfortable with the change.

I agree that some skins to change the look a little to suit different tastes would be a nice feature. Looks do matter.. if they don't then stop combing your hair when you go out in public.
biggrin.gif

Looks are most definitely important.

I wanted the site to look nice and trust me.. vBulletin is.. shall we say.. about as ugly as sin to use an old phrase. I wanted clean lines, soft blended colors and something that was taking advantage of technology that is less than10 years old.. Looks like I found it
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I hadn't been on here for a little while and when I came on yesterday it was all brand new. I think that it looks good and is easy to get around so I voted for I love it.

I would rather it had read "like" instead of "love". Love is usually a bit overstated except for things related to  Q, sex, money and family.

I don't mind the look of the forum or the background exactly, but I miss the format or the way the way the threads and post looked before.  Like you said though, it will just take some time to get use to it. 
icon_smile.gif

I agree that some skins to change the look a little to suit different tastes would be a nice feature. Looks do matter.. if they don't then stop combing your hair when you go out in public.
biggrin.gif

Looks are most definitely important.

I wanted the site to look nice and trust me.. vBulletin is.. shall we say.. about as ugly as sin to use an old phrase. I wanted clean lines, soft blended colors and something that was taking advantage of technology that is less than10 years old.. Looks like I found it
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

This is awesome Jeff. Thank You for all the time, money, & aggravation that goes alongwith running the worlds greatest smoke forum!! I love not having to use photobucket!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The new profile is certainly cleaner and more modern (almost like windows vs. DOS).  As soon as I get used to the navigation, I am sure it will be more fun too.

I would rather all bug reports, things taking over your screen and all such other feedback be sent directly via the feedback form or at the very least in the actual feedback forum. This thread was setup to discuss whether you like the look and feel of the forum as well as the features that directly relate to how you post on the forum.

I have moved the bug reports and cleaned this thread up a little bit.. all bug reports are good information but it doesn't do the general population any good. They need to be sent directly to someone who can actually do something about it. Trust me..they will get to the right folks and will be looked into very quickly.

Last edited:
I would rather all bug reports, things taking over your screen and all such other feedback be sent directly via the feedback form. This thread was setup to discuss whether you like the look and feel of the forum as well as the features that directly relate to how you post on the forum.

I have moved the bug reports and cleaned this thread up a little bit.. all bug reports are good information but it doesn't do the general population any good. They need to be sent directly to someone who can actually do something about it. Trust me..they will get to the right folks and will be looked into very quickly.

In this thread..

If you like the forum, then tell us what you like about it. If you don't like it then tell me what you don't like it about it in a positive way. If you hate it so bad that you can't even be positive about anything then just go find a good vBulletin site to post on. I can probably direct you to several if you need me to.

Please report all possible bugs, things taking over your screen, security flaws, etc. HERE
In other words - Report them somewhere that is private and no one else knows that you are experiencing these issues.

Sorry, but that IS how it reads.

In other words - Report them somewhere that is private and no one else knows that you are experiencing these issues.

Sorry, but that IS how it reads.
Some things should be private.. some things should not. I have moved the things I am not sure about yet to the mod forum and I will put them where I think they need to go once I make a decision on it.

I cannot control what people make assumptions about.

Until then, I suppose we could talk about something really important like smoking meat
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

I don't know how much longer I will be here. The ads are over the top for me. When I log onto a smoking site - the last thing I want to see is a #### ad for a political referendum which is what I am getting for "Right to Vote" Prop 16 here in CA - If the ads were limited to smoking and equipment I could understand it but this to me reperesents a complete sell out for profit.

Gonna have to do some soul searching cause I've got some good friends here but it is not the only game in town and maybe they will come with me if I leave

Scarbelly,

We have been on this platform for less than a week.. It will take a little bit to get the ads 100% relevant. I am reporting stuff I don't want to see and they are blocking them but it does take time.

Over time as we bring on actual partners like smoker manufacturers and other outdoor focused companies the ads will be more geared to that sort of thing.

There again, it does take time.. by time I mean more than 5 days
icon_wink.gif

I don't know how much longer I will be here. The ads are over the top for me. When I log onto a smoking site - the last thing I want to see is a #### ad for a political referendum which is what I am getting for "Right to Vote" Prop 16 here in CA - If the ads were limited to smoking and equipment I could understand it but this to me reperesents a complete sell out for profit.

Gonna have to do some soul searching cause I've got some good friends here but it is not the only game in town and maybe they will come with me if I leave
The premier members aren't complaining. They just flip a switch and turn them off
icon_mrgreen.gif

No problemo!!

I'm inclined to say that I have to spend much more time here to fully understand what the new platform has to offer. The first couple of visits, I was finding myself getting a bit frustrated with the changes, as I had to relearn the site's navigation, and a whole slew of new tools which were unfamiliar to me. I'm one of those folks who likes to remain in a comfort zone, and doesn't like to see change...that's just me, and I'm sure there are many more members who feel the same.

I will say this to everyone fighting the discomfort I have experienced: give it some time...start posting your qviews and browsing around more, so that you can enjoy the benefits of what this new platform can do for all of us who visit. I was kind of in the dumps at first, just like when the server crash hit more than a year ago...yea, that was a nightmare. I feel that this platform change will get much more info gathered collectively, and create an environment where this info will be much more easily accessible to everyone.

The Wiki is pretty cool, I think. It's a much better way to circulate info on a particular subject than just posting it to a forum and reading through all of the replies. Searching for info will be much simpler, once everyone gets rolling with it.

After posting some pics into a thread and finding out how to manage the albums (bottom of "My Profile"), I feel this is a very nice feature. I was using Photobucket, and previously, postimage.org to host my photos, but, I was using them for my posts here on the forum, and for no other reason. Having a dedicated on-site album does save having to jump through some hoops when posting pics directly from your PC to the forum...a very nice addition in my books. I don't need PB anymore!

Folks, hang in there...I'm still learning much about the changes, right along with everyone else, and I'm not throwing in the towel.

I'm voting a thumbs-up, because I know I want to learn and share much more about smoking meats, and I am now much more eager about conquering the learning curve of the new layout. The new platform is just a stepping stone for me to continue doing what I love to do, and hopefully be able to do it better, along with everyone else who posts their experiences, advice, methods, etc here. I'll be around through thick & thin. This is still my second family, after-all, and it's people that make it a friendly and enjoyable place to visit.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone keep coming back!

Many great smokes to all!

Eric

I went to the smiley listing today and was able to see only 3 lines of what should have been more smiley options  Has this happened to  anyone else?  Any suggestions so as to a fix?

I went to the smiley listing today and was able to see only 3 lines of what should have been more smiley options  Has this happened to  anyone else?  Any suggestions so as to a fix?
I have the same issue..I told Jeff and sent him a picture the other night ...I haven't heard anything back about it yet..I did however read on another thread here about the smileys that the problem is happening to all of us who use IE7...In that thread it was stated that it was being worked on...Hopefully it gets fixed cause one of the suggestions was to upgrade to IE8 and i have no desire to do that.....Everything else i do on the net works just fine with IE7...

There is a known issue with IE7 so you have a couple of options if you intend to use Internet Explorer.. you can upgrade to IE8 which should fix the problem or you can wait on a fix from Huddler.

This has been submitted and they have ascertained that it is a IE7 problem but I have no idea how long it will take them to fix it.

Just in case you need it, here is a link to upgrade your IE to the latest revision:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/

After further reading about the forum server being loaded with pics in our profile albums, I have decided to go back to PB as a host. I guess if everyone keeps using a 3rd party photo host, it could free up memory/bandwidth here. I don't fully understand how it all works, it just sounds like less load on the forum to me. Any little things we can start doing now could help a lot in the future, IMO.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky