New Pellet Gill Purchase

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I am considering replacing my Smoke Vault 18" vertical propane smoker with a pellet grill that I want to have function similar to the vertical smoker. I may not ever grill on it, I will have a large natural gas grill for that purpose. I will probably sell the smoke vault, It is just too big and requires too much work.

I just want the convenience of a wifi enabled pellet vertical smoker, I don't need the size of a vertical smoker, there are only two people eating.

The idea, until I purchase the pellet grill, is to buy a Green Mountain Smoker Ledge, it is the smaller of the prime smokers they sell.

To turn it into a vertical style smoker, a different company sells a set of roll in and out racks Pimp My Grill and have designs to build a set of sausage hanger racks that use the same set of guides as the roll in/ roll out shelves.

I have only been smoking for a short time and wonder if there is any reason this won't work?
I need the sausage hangers for my new sausage making plunge, and the racks will let me smoke more meat then I will know what to do with.

Curious, why not just build a wooden smokehouse for sausage and keep the vault for BBQ?

Curious, why not just build a wooden smokehouse for sausage and keep the vault for BBQ?
I really don't have the space for very much equipment. I thought about a smoke house but away from the house.

Plus I have to say, I really want more convenience, and am not that happy with the smoke vault.

You'll be able to run lower temps with the smokehouse. The lowest I can go with my pellet grill is 160* and a lot of them, 180* is the lowest temp.

I see the one you posted will go down to 150*, but for just sausages, you'd be better off being able to run lower, and it'd be cheaper to build a smokehouse set up for bacon and sausages.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
You'll be able to run lower temps with the smokehouse. The lowest I can go with my pellet grill is 160* and a lot of them, 180* is the lowest temp.
I just read what tallbm said in the plunge thread and to smoke sausage requires 100°F and no pellet smoker or gas smoker can go that low. Are you suggestion the only option is a smoke house?

I'm thinking then maybe I can get the same result using a PID on an electric smoker? Not sure where I can get the 120v circuit but I'll have plenty of time to sort that out.

Are you building a smoke house? If I did It would have to be back against the back side of thenproperty, next to the shed I have.to build one of these days.

A MES with an auber will get you low enough. A lot of people here are using them for sausages. My plan is to build a propane fired wooden smokehouse like several on here use.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I am considering replacing my Smoke Vault 18" vertical propane smoker with a pellet grill that I want to have function similar to the vertical smoker. I may not ever grill on it, I will have a large natural gas grill for that purpose. I will probably sell the smoke vault, It is just too big and requires too much work.

I just want the convenience of a wifi enabled pellet vertical smoker, I don't need the size of a vertical smoker, there are only two people eating.

The idea, until I purchase the pellet grill, is to buy a Green Mountain Smoker Ledge, it is the smaller of the prime smokers they sell.

To turn it into a vertical style smoker, a different company sells a set of roll in and out racks Pimp My Grill and have designs to build a set of sausage hanger racks that use the same set of guides as the roll in/ roll out shelves.

I have only been smoking for a short time and wonder if there is any reason this won't work?
I need the sausage hangers for my new sausage making plunge, and the racks will let me smoke more meat then I will know what to do with.
Hi this is Ron from Pimp My Grill, we have a smoke bar system coming in 3 to 4 week.

Reactions: Nefarious
If I were to come up with a cheap or better yet free MES that someone wants rid of because it quit working, I'd consider going that route.

Reactions: Nefarious
If I were to come up with a cheap or better yet free MES that someone wants rid of because it quit working, I'd consider going that route.

Home depot here sells the 30 for under $200. I see one on craigslist for $100. I'd pay $100 to not have to play around in someone elses dirt. I could do a mailbox mod, and the microcontroller PID with tallbm's guide to rewire it. I'd be under $600 and wife already feels sorry for my last mailbox attempt.

Reactions: DougE
Save the hassle.

Buy a TSM 30 lb digital for low sausage making and be done with the hunt.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I run mine with an auber pid.

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

Auber thermo couple temp probe for smoker temp. I dont probe my sausages
IMG_0679.jpg

Reactions: Nefarious and DougE
When we lived up in PA i built a smokehouse. I had a traeger hopper/burner on the side.
mysmoker.jpg

Im going to build another one soon here in Ky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky