New Orleans style BBQ Shrimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Ok this is a family recipe that has been around for years and years. Over the weekend I was thawing out a big 5lb bag of shrimp to make room in the deep freeze. We initially planned to fry these shrimp and do po-boys, but decided on this at the last minute.

For those of you unfamiliar with New Orleans style bbq shrimp, it’s a very popular dish around here, but it’s not actually bbq. It’s a sauce made and then baked in the oven with the shrimp (traditionally head-on) and then simply served with French bread. The combination of shrimp, French bread and that sauce is out of this world.

I’m sure there are Many recipes floating around, and several that claim to be the best. But this is the exact recipe I grew up on, and everyone flips out over this sauce.

DFF043CB-EFE9-4529-820A-1C36BE852BD0.jpeg
The recipe is surprisingly simple, and doesn’t take long to make. The key is fresh shrimp and fresh French bread.
Recipe calls for 3lbs of fresh head-on shrimp & one loaf of French bread.
The Sauce:
3 sticks of butter, 2 TBS La. Hot Sauce (or Tabasco), 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp Oregano, 3 tsp parsley, 1 bottle of Heinze chili sauce & 1 cup white wine. You basically warm your butter to the point that it’s melting, over medium heat. Then you add your dry ingredients and stir well. Then add chili sauce and white wine. You want to remove that from the heat and then pour it over the shrimp. Now the ones I used were frozen, but we get them right off the boat, de-head a bunch and freeze them. I made an exception this time because I really wanted to make this recipe. Once you incorporate the sauce throughout the shrimp, add your sliced lemon to the top and let stand for one hour. Then you simply bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes depending on size. Stir occasionally.

8802DA0E-89E4-412E-A030-E5EA3C292748.jpeg
Here is a pic of the shrimp I used and the pan, which was a little small. But this was a 5lb batch of shrimp. Also, I ended up just using the sauce amounts for 3lbs of shrimp, and it was more than enough.

9E44D02E-6C77-4B25-BF72-A1DEFA7A4500.jpeg
Here is my sauce poured all over the shrimp, ready to marinate on the counter for one hour. The sauce has some warmth to it, so it’s normal for the shrimp to pinken up a little. But the sauce should cool quickly and will actually firm up a bit while it stands.

CA3AAB20-DF4D-42B5-9E32-F7AABA7AF4A6.jpeg
Ready for the oven. I stirred twice over the span of 35 minutes, and after testing one, these were all ready!

EC674512-FB34-438F-B751-1C8288A028B0.jpeg 5A1524F0-3ABA-4A19-89CE-CD6455BC2289.jpeg
The money shot! It tastes even better than it looks. Now what you wanna do is make sure and have a lap full of paper towels bc it’s messy. But you take your shrimp and suck on em a bit, get that sauce off the shell, then you peel a few shrimp, throw em in the sauce, then grab a pull off the French bread, stuff it with those shrimp, and dip-and eat!!! It has to be one of my absolute favorite traditional New Orleans cuisine.

Attachments

• 8AF59742-C831-43A1-AB1C-66364A8D0355.jpeg
    8AF59742-C831-43A1-AB1C-66364A8D0355.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 44
  • F7D4E6FA-9936-4E5C-8361-09A71980F259.jpeg
    F7D4E6FA-9936-4E5C-8361-09A71980F259.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I think I drooled on my LSU National Championship T-Shirt while reading through your post. Well done my friend, and thank you for posting the recipe! I vote for a carousel ride....very deserving indeed!

Reactions: 73saint
Sounds great. I've made the Cajun BBQ Shrimp many times. This is an interesting variation...JJ

Man, I'd love to be bellying up to a table full of that, beautiful piece of work, Like! Congrats on the ride, well deserved. RAY

Wonderful looking plate of shrimp right there saint. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Point for sure
Chris

Hell yes that looks so good! Don't know if I could eat 5 pounds but I sure as hell would try. That sauce sounds outstanding. Great recipe too I am going to save that. Thanks for sharing! LIKE!

Looks awesome! Ive never had this dish but it is certainly something I might have to give a shot. The sauce sounds really good and simple to make. Like!

I'll have to save this recipe--sounds and looks outstanding! The old recipe cards are awesome too, you did your family proud with this one!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky