New old guy, saranac , mi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rhoton

Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Saranac , Mi
Hi everyone , my name is Jim I just retired and have always wanted to start a BBQ so I just order a new smoker grill. It has 2 5 foot by 6 foot slid out grates,a 18x18x18 fire box 2  60 inch burners to keep my heat even also a 48x48x18 warmer box. I bought Jeffs recipes a couple years ago. I'm going to use apple and red oak for smoke it is all aroud me here also I plan on doing chicken quarters and pulled pork. 

I was just wondering if anyone had a ideas or wisdom I would really love to here it . My friends think I'm nut, there just isnt any good BBQ around here at all. So if anyone can help please do Thanks Jim

Hi Jim first off welcome to SMF, second, I don't know how to post the link here, but if you go to our homepage there is a link there for a free e-course. I recommened you sign up for that. It will get you the basics. From there just ask questions & we'll help you.

Welcome to smf glad to have ya!!!! There's tons of info here,do some searches and you will find days of info to read.Plus the wiki section as well. We are all here to help with any questions you might have.

good luck!!!

Welcome to SMF its nice to have ya.. Have fun and Happy smoking
welcome1.gif

Welcome to SMF - you will find lots of information by using the search tool at the top. Looking forward to seeing your posts. I am retiring in June myself.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Also for those of you new to smoking,  Get a good Probe Thermometer as we smoke by Temperature NOT TIME.

A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732

welcome1.gif

Well, sounds like your smoker is big enough, but I think doing just chicken quarters and PP won't be enough. People want ribs, brisket and some type of sausage I have learned. Just sayin...

Good luck with the project, you'll get tons of help here I can assure you.

Howdy Neighbor!!!

I hail from over Sunfield way......welcome to the sight!  There is so much good information already posted on this sight all you need to do a search for what you are interested in and you will find that someone has been there, done that.  If you just start out by reviewing the new threads everyday you will get a variety that will boggles your mind.  If by chance you don't see something on here just ask and folks are more than happy to help... not just do it so it tastes good, but on how to feed the masses safely. Start out slow...pork butts and chicken are cheap and easy, and as your confidence builds, the skies the limit.  Don't forget to post pics of your smokes so we can all share in your glory!

Barry.

Thanks all , feel like I have been here for along time already. I have 2 smokers here now, they are smaller but my youngest son and I have been smoking for a while now. pork and mchicken is going pretty good but the brisket isnt there yet . It has great flover but just seen to be a little dry and tough. I will keep reading all over the site. this is by far the best BBQ site on the web    :)

welcome1.gif
Jim, to the family
yahoo.gif
Hope you enjoy it here, and keep us posted with Q-view. Show us your pit and you and well, everything
biggrin.gif

AND........  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky