New 'old' fridge conversion project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thedudeabides

Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Hi all,

I finally acquired my new 'old' fridge and just finished stripping it down to bare steel.  It's in great shape and I've scoured the forums for ideas. 

I'm not sure if I can use the old 'tub'.  It's in fantastic shape, no chips, rust, dings, anything.  Anybody know what it's made of & can I use it for my interior safely?

I think I'd like to put my heat source/smoke source in the bottom: hot plate with wood chips...and a small access door to replace wood.

Any pro's / con's of this design?  I don't have any money to really throw at this thing so it's on a budget...the closer to free the better...

Will one gas/electric hot plate get the temp up high enough?

I've pulled out all the insulation - any tips on what value to replace it with?

If anybody cares to give me any tips I sure do appreciate it

Jay

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky