New ok Joe's highland

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tank19

Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Western ma
I just got a new ok highland did some mods built a firebox ash pan with baffles welded the two piece firebox together plus welded it to the cook chamber also installed running plates as well as extended the stack any help would be appreciated as to what else I should do thanks

Congrats on the new smoker!
Not seeing the pic...but enjoy!

Just start smoking on it and learning your smoker.

Last edited:
Seasoned the smoker today it ran great at 250 for about 5 hrs but it took 1.5 hrs to get to 200 i was using cowboy briquettes does anybody have a better idea i tried to get lump but nobody has any thanks

Well did two racks of ribs and a small pork butt went off without a hitch didn't have to add any charcoal after filling the box once did the minion method with the baffles ran for 6hrs at 220-240 with charcoal left I have to send a big thanks out to all the people that posted the mods

What is the best way to place the meat probe cables on the Oklahoma Joe Highland? Ive read some people drill holes beneath the lid but above the cooking grate on some smokers and insert grommets. There isnt room to do that on the highland, right below the door is the rail for the cooking grates. Im not sure if I should drill below cooking grates and run the cable back up, or maybe drill in the side end by the exhaust and run the cable along the inside of the cooking chamber. I unfortunately only have a couple elcheapo walmart units and the cables arent very durable, there wrapped in a thin material that doesnt look like it would hold up to just run them under the door and let it rest on them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky