New mini owner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They are fine...    Looks good....  
icon14.gif

Reactions: radioyaz
I have all the expanded metal I need for my charcoal basket.

For the guys with a charcoal basket in your mini how long of smoke can you get. With the basket you can't get as many coals so I'm curious how long you can smoke with 1 basket full.

Last edited:
Also have a Thermopro t-08 on the way to take out all the guess work. Should have thought about a digital probe before I cut the whole for the anolog thermometer.

Hinds-

Don't worry about putting another probe hole in and regret the analog. The analog is a good backup, Something you may consider that has been discussed here is not drilling a hole and installing a grommet for remote probes but rather just a small notch at the top that way you can get your meat in and out of the mini with the probes still in.

As for how long of a burn with the basket: It depends on what kind of charcoal or lump and what temp I am running, wind, ambient temp, keeping the lid on, etc., With KBB I found the amount of ash build-up was choking off and killing the coals when there was plenty remaining. Not because the coals burnt out. I've gone to good lump and/or Royal Oak and get better times. You can pile more coals on if you leave out the bottom grill or even the diffuser for certain cooks. Measure how much room you have between the top of your basket to the bottom of the diffuser. And no-one ever said you cant but coals or wood chunks OUTSIDE around the basket perimeter.

Do you have a large tuna can with holes in it upside down over the bottom vent? That keeps them from getting choked off too.

Get some foil to line your diffuser for easier cleanup. I put a disposable pie tin on top of the diffuser to catch drips if Im not using the bottom grate.

You are going to love it! What's your plan for the first cook?

Reactions: hinds90
Thinking a pork shoulder this weekend. Haven't setup the tuna can but I will before the first cook. Can't wait!

Pull pork turn out great glad I decide to foil and finish in the oven. Next time I'll be sure to start earlierso I want have to foil. I added about 15 more coals at around 5 hours in. Trying to manage the temps (275) when the ash gets really high is a task. I had to pull the charcoal basket out to remove some of the ash around the tuna can. I may add the side vents from the smokey Joe gold for better temp control and to be able to side light.

Last edited:
Looks great Hinds! Great first cook! Actually I don't think your ash build-up was too bad. Your holes in the tuna can should have done their job. I don't think you mentioned how long that took for that much ash. But I will say, THAT is why I have switched to better charcoal that produces less ash. But I also use a BBQ Guru. I have positive air flow so plugging my vent isn't an issue, and temp control is perfect.

Point!

I actually pulled the pot off and the charcoal basket to clear some of the ash out. It helped a little but I wasn't able to get much out. I'll probably do a few more cooks to really get use to it but I'm definitely think about a ball valve with a BBQ guru.

I didn't load the burning coals in the middle correctly either. It burned to oneside instead of out in a circle.

Nice looking Mini and first cook.

Side vents and sidelight method is the way to go. 14 hours at 265° in perfect conditions using KBB can be achieved. If I had a tender I imagine that I could get 18 hours plus.

What anolog thermometer would you guys recommend. I have the digital but if the probe goes out I want a quality back up. I've tried 2 from home Depot and they're both inaccurate.

Nice looking Mini and first cook.

Side vents and sidelight method is the way to go. 14 hours at 265° in perfect conditions using KBB can be achieved. If I had a tender I imagine that I could get 18 hours plus.
Sidelights ???  does that infer, lighting the charcoal on the side of the basket toward the air supply, or on the opposite side of the air supply ??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky