New Mexico heirloom

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
Outside of New Mexico, has anyone had any luck growing Chimayo chiles? I currently use the ground version in mild, and hot. I understand that this is an heirloom chile going back at least 400 years, unlike the other hybrids of Anheim chiles created in New Mexico at the university. The flavor is a little more dense and sweeter than regular New Mexico chile.

Sorry..No experience with Chimayo. Would like to some day. I love working with chilies. One of these Septembers I'm going to take the 5 hour drive and get over to the Hatch Festival. You asked me in another thread what kind of chilies I was considdering for a chile powder. I'm looking at local stuff. I can get Guajillo, Ancho and Chile Negro for mild and some Arbol, tepin for hot. I get into Chili Cookoffs and have always used commercial powders. I want to create my own and see how it does. So, I have to find the right balance.

I make my salsa (pico de gallo) with Habs. I make my hot sauce with Hab mash. I have a contact for some Red Savina mash, but he sells it in 5 gal buckets. I've been begging him to sell it in quart size and he is going to do that.

Have you ever made your own hot sauce? Stuff like Pico-Pico or Tobasco any of thousands out there on the market? I make mine with red bell peppers, habanero mash, spices, onions, etc.. Very little vinegar. Enough to bring the PH below 4.2 though so it doesn't go bad.

Anyway, let me know more about those Chimayo's.. Can they be eaten fresh like in salsa's or maybe Chile Rellano?

Paul

Check out this recipe. Sounds awesome. I guess you can pretty much use any type of chile..

Guajillo Butter

Ingredients:
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
4 guajillo chiles
1 chipotle chile
1/8 cup chopped garlic
2 bay leaves
6 black peppercorns
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup lime juice
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 lb. butter, softened
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Saute onion, chiles, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns in olive oil until dark brown. Add wine and lime juice and reduce until almost dry. Add cream and then reduce by half. Slowly incorporate butter, whipping continuously. Season with salt and pepper.

Yields approximately 2 pounds.

Court Jester, Chimayo chiles can be eaten/used raw, but I think they are a bit small for rellenos. I have used them as ground flakes in beans, and they are great. My wife makes her own salsa/sauce, but won't give out the recipe. My payback is I eat/use most of it!

Never too small! I've made rellenos out of jalapeno's before as appetizers
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

My next adventure is to get some small mild chilies and stuff them with either rasberry jam or something sweet (haven't decided yet) and dip them in chocolate... Talk about hot and spicy
PDT_Armataz_01_13.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky