New MES440s Burn-In

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rkrider99

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 20, 2021
So here goes my new MES440s initial burn-in. So far, I'm impressed. Came up to temp of 275 in about 20 minutes. The Bluetooth app works great. The smoker is sitting in my front lanai, and I've walked around the whole house without losing connection.

For those of you wondering about getting to 275, according to the front panel and app, temps are swinging between 270 and 278. I also put 4 probes. 1 on each shelf. P1 is the top shelf, P3 is shelf 2, P4 is 3rd shelf, and P2 is on the 4th shelf right above the empty water pan.

I'll add the smoke in about another hour.

Attachments

• 20210328_133758.jpg
    20210328_133758.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210328-132220_Masterbuilt.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-132220_Masterbuilt.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210328-132146_Masterbuilt.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-132146_Masterbuilt.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 17
Very interested in the results of your first smoke,Any ideas yet?
Pulled pork on Tuesday. I'll actually be smoking it Tuesday, probably have it for dinner Wednesday. I'm interested to see how it compares to the pulled pork I do on my Weber 22" kettle. 2 butts about 6.5 pounds each. I'll post pictures.

The burn-in went very well. There will be a slight learning curve with the custom smoking feature. Not sure if it's a bug in the app, or the smoker.

I set the smoke level to 5 as instructed. Plenty of smoke but not over powering. About 10 minutes into it. I noticed the smoke level was off on the app. I checked the display on the smoker and it still showed it was on at level 5. Ok, no big issue.

One other point. I had set the timer for 3 hours for the burn-in. The smoker does actually turn itself off when the timer expires. Since I still had a big chunk of wood left in the smoke chamber. I figured I'd just turn the smoker back on, and set the smoke level st 5. Well, that chunk took off, and I had more smoke pouring out off that smoker than I would have expected. I finally just turned everything off, took a pair of tongs, pulled that chunk of smoldering hickory out of the chamber, and tossed it into a bucket of water.

I guess I need to figure out when to load that last chunk!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky