NEW MES Question!! (Help, I don't know what I'm buying)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just finished doing the heat test that Bearcarver suggested. I set the MES for 230, checked my Mavercks in ice water against my Thermapen.

As you see there are + - 2 degree from my Thermapen. Set the probes in the smoker as Bearcarver suggested.

The local weather was 54 and very windy. Set the MES to 230 with the vent opened all the way and started taking readings. While the MES was heating up the difference between the probes was 20+ degrees difference. After the unit hit temperature I waited 15 minutes for the unit to stabilize. The probes read
Left side 222, Right side 228 and the MES temp gauge was 235. I am not concerned about the big difference in temps while starting up as I always wait for my smokers to stabilize at least an hour before in put my food in.

Waited 15 min. for the next reading.
Left probe 219 right probe 225 MES probe 238, MES meat probe 235

After another 15 min.
Left probe 225 right probe 232 MES probe 244 MES meat probe 239

Another 15 gone by
Left probe 216 right probe 221 MES probe 231 MES meat probe 226

15 more
Left probe 226 right probe 232 MES probe 242 MES meat probe 325

Last 15 test
Left probe 218 right probe 223 MES probe 237 MES meat probe 229

As you can see the biggest delta between the probes was 8 degrees. At any given time the biggest difference I saw was 9 degrees for a minute or two, that was in between the 15 minute duration. I can live with this difference in temp as my Big Green Eggs have a hot spot in the back while using my plate setter. I would strongly suggest not going by the MES units temperature probe as there is a big discrepancy between my calibrated probes and the MES probe. The MES meat probe was attached to the side wall for all the above readings.
The only reason I can think of is Bearcarvers unit may have had a 800 watt heating coil while this model has a 1200 watt coil. I would think the 800 watt coil would be on longer to bring the unit back to the set temperature causing the one side to heat up more. But seeing as I'm not a scientist and I'm only a grease and oil man, what do I know.
Those temps are pretty good in my book.

Was the slanted drip plate in when you did the tests?

The one I tested was a 1200W Gen #2 with the Drip plate in, and my numbers were all over the place every time I tested.

Bear

Bear, the slanted drip plate as well as the water pan were in place throughout the tests. If you look at the 1st picture the one with the probes you can just see the drip plate. The water pan was empty during the tests. The probes are above the rack by about an inch. One was suspended by a probe clip that came with one of my Mavericks. The other probe is suspended by a probe tree that was purchased form the BBQ Guru folks. I made sure that both probes were the same height and distance from the walls. Seeing as you also had a 1200 watt unit I guess I got lucky. Thanks for all your help as I now have piece of mind.

Bear, the slanted drip plate as well as the water pan were in place throughout the tests. If you look at the 1st picture the one with the probes you can just see the drip plate. The water pan was empty during the tests. The probes are above the rack by about an inch. One was suspended by a probe clip that came with one of my Mavericks. The other probe is suspended by a probe tree that was purchased form the BBQ Guru folks. I made sure that both probes were the same height and distance from the walls. Seeing as you also had a 1200 watt unit I guess I got lucky. Thanks for all your help as I now have piece of mind.
Thank You for the reply & the testing Johnny. Yours sounds like it's doing real good!!

Bear

Can you post a link? There's a bunch of threads in the beef forum.

Don

Hi Holyfeld
If I've done this right, you should find the link below. Bear is right that the Gen 2.5 has the big water pan that is deep on the left side and shallow on the right. I took a couple of pics of the inside of the smoker that I will post on this thread for you but I have to email them to my PC first to save them in jpeg format then post.

SoFloGator

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/182084/first-smoke-on-new-ms-40

Shot of large water pan resting on top of unit

Gen 2.5 with large water pan, small sloping drip cover on right

Last edited:

You have to learn that the girls in the MB office may be nice, but they don't know what they're talking about. The Gen #2.5 doesn't have the big slanted drip plate with the little water pan in it.

It has a much bigger water pan with a split level bottom. Then there is some kind of a short slanted cover just above the chip dumper & heating element.

Go to their website----Choose "Videos"-----Then go down the left column, and click on "Bluetooth Control Panel", and watch the short video.

Bear
Bear,

I'd like to say how wrong you are about the tech support. Unfortunately, you nailed it. <sigh> She did say if I changed anything myself, I might "void the warranty".
police2.gif
 Based on http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151864/mes-40-model-20070512-temperature-problems I'm guessing I've pretty well voided the warranty.

So ... Here are my results for a temperature test. Ambient high 50s here in WNC. I smoke @ 225, so I set the controller for 225. The results look like:

I used my iGrill. In a nutshell, once the chamber came to temperature, the left / right sides stayed within a few degrees of 225. I started on the second shelf, then moved to the top shelf, and finished on the third shelf. I try to avoid smoking on the fourth shelf. I guess I should check out fourth shelf left to see what happens there. I'm nervous about putting meat directly above the heating elements.

Even expanded, the graph has been compressed when I uploaded to where it's almost unreadable. 

The data file (CSV) contains about 4000 samples. I wrote a program that should reduce it to a couple hundred at most (looking at temperature readings once per minute).

If anyone would like the original files (data and graph), message me and I'm happy to provide them.

The major caveat for me: this test doesn't have a heat sink (such as butt or brisket). I don't know how thermal patterns and temperatures shift when that happens, or if it even matters.

Originally I asked you about how the differences between the 2.0 and 2.5 matter. Now I think I should have collected some data on how my MES-40 performs before doing so. Given these results I think I'll stick with my 2.0. I will note that I have more $$ invested than a new 2.5 (from what I can find).

Don

Last edited:
If I've done this right, you should find the link below. Bear is right that the Gen 2.5 has the big water pan that is deep on the left side and shallow on the right. I took a couple of pics of the inside of the smoker that I will post on this thread for you but I have to email them to my PC first to save them in jpeg format then post.

SoFloGator ... does graduating from UWF in Pensacola make me a NoWeFloGator, or would I have to have matriculated from UF?

I appreciate the pictures. Sad I had to see them here instead of on Masterbuilt's site. Happy that it could happen here. WTF are they thinking?

It's cool that we're both at peace with what we have. I think I'd prefer your configuration, but mine seems to work OK. I never used the water pan, even in my MES-30. I'd line it with foil and use it to catch fat/grease.

Holyfeld

Holyfeld
I am a UF grad that just happens to live in South Florida. We Gators are a sociable and inclusive group so if you want to be supportive of the Orange and Blue, let me be the first to proclaim you a "NoWeFloGator".[emoji]9786[/emoji]

I am happy with my 2.5 so far, but as you know I've only used it the one time so far. It still remains to be seen if they have solved all the problems.

I did smoke the prime rib with water in the pan for the first smoke. I have an amazn smoker that will be here Friday and I plan to do some ribs without the water but with the pan. My theory (with no data to support it) is that the water pan by extending from side to side in the bottom of the cooking chamber helps to more evenly distribute the heat inside.

Happy Smoking NoWeFloGator!!

Bear,

I'd like to say how wrong you are about the tech support. Unfortunately, you nailed it. <sigh> She did say if I changed anything myself, I might "void the warranty".
police2.gif
 Based on http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151864/mes-40-model-20070512-temperature-problems I'm guessing I've pretty well voided the warranty.

So ... Here are my results for a temperature test. Ambient high 50s here in WNC. I smoke @ 225, so I set the controller for 225. The results look like:

I used my iGrill. In a nutshell, once the chamber came to temperature, the left / right sides stayed within a few degrees of 225. I started on the second shelf, then moved to the top shelf, and finished on the third shelf. I try to avoid smoking on the fourth shelf. I guess I should check out fourth shelf left to see what happens there. I'm nervous about putting meat directly above the heating elements.

Even expanded, the graph has been compressed when I uploaded to where it's almost unreadable. 

The data file (CSV) contains about 4000 samples. I wrote a program that should reduce it to a couple hundred at most (looking at temperature readings once per minute).

If anyone would like the original files (data and graph), message me and I'm happy to provide them.

The major caveat for me: this test doesn't have a heat sink (such as butt or brisket). I don't know how thermal patterns and temperatures shift when that happens, or if it even matters.

Originally I asked you about how the differences between the 2.0 and 2.5 matter. Now I think I should have collected some data on how my MES-40 performs before doing so. Given these results I think I'll stick with my 2.0. I will note that I have more $$ invested than a new 2.5 (from what I can find).

Don
Great Tests!!

You should be quite happy with those results!!

Smoke On!!

Bear

Holyfeld
I am a UF grad that just happens to live in South Florida. We Gators are a sociable and inclusive group so if you want to be supportive of the Orange and Blue, let me be the first to proclaim you a "NoWeFloGator".[emoji]9786[/emoji]

I am happy with my 2.5 so far, but as you know I've only used it the one time so far. It still remains to be seen if they have solved all the problems.

I did smoke the prime rib with water in the pan for the first smoke. I have an amazn smoker that will be here Friday and I plan to do some ribs without the water but with the pan. My theory (with no data to support it) is that the water pan by extending from side to side in the bottom of the cooking chamber helps to more evenly distribute the heat inside.

Happy Smoking NoWeFloGator!!
My feelings exactly about the large water pan in both the Gen #1 and the Gen #2.5.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky