How long does a person expect a grill to last?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have been researching for a new grill. I know Weber is a great brand but I just cannot justify the cost. I keep hearing how Char Broil, Brinkman, etc. and other cheaper brands are trash. But I am looking to replace a Char Broil that we've been using without issue for the last 9 years. I have replaced the burners and heat plate. If that's trash, how long are these Webers lasting? What is the life expectancy?

It is time for a new heat plate again and I was thinking of updating my home unit and sending this one (with new heat plate) up to the cabin where we currently only have a charcoal grill.

Here is the new Char Broil I am looking at. http://www.lowes.com/pd_503219-82210-463449914_1z0wekx+1z0yfmt+1z140vp__?productId=50086050&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&page=1&facetInfo=Yes|Char-Broil

I’ve had various brands of grills over the years and replaced burners, heat plates and rusted grates. To me the cost is irrelevant until to get up to the $1500+ range then this shifts of course. That said, I will only own stainless steel gas grills going forward and frankly the lower the price the better. Charbroil used to not be a very high quality brand, but I’ve found their investment in quality products the last few years to be excellent. They remain a value alternative, but with consistently better products. This one you are looking at is a fine choice. Charbroil makes a quality cover too. Keep it covered and you will get your money’s worth.

Did you notice that thread was almost 5 years old? maybe another 5 before we find out what he ended up with lol

Reactions: Hawging It
I had a charbroil from Lowe's that lasted 3 years. I grill a lot, 2 times a week on average year round. I've had my Weber Genesis for 12 years now. It stays outside, year round. I've replaced the grates twice under warranty. Replaced the burners once under warranty. I've replaced the flavorizer bars multiple times, twice on my own dime. They are great grills, and I'll get another one when this one becomes unusable.

I have seen grills last a few years to many years, If you have a place to keep it out of the weather and clean the gunk every once and a while a cheaper one will last you, as far as a Weber goes, I have a friend that has one that is close to 20 years old(kept covered and out of the weather).

After typing all of this I see this is a very old post, LOL my two cents for the next grill purchase haha

The question may be how long can this thread last? :emoji_wink:

I generally try to get the best quality with fewer bells/whistles. Have an all stainless (think it’s all 304) Vidalia 440, 10 yrs old. Just ordered new burners, another set of flavor baffles, an igniter, and push button. I don’t yet need all but Vidalia has gone out of business and only found one set of some of these items. The carcass and SS grate look like they will outlive me.
(The BGE will too.)

I realize this is an old thread, but FWIW, I am still using the Weber Genesis that I bought in 1995. I've replaced a lot of parts, but it still looks and works almost as well as when I got it, almost a quarter century ago. It is outside all the time, with a short cover over the box and grill.

New grills are trash. Growing up in the 90s, Char-Broil was on par with Weber for quality. Having owned 2 Char-Broils I can tell you they’re built for 3-5 year use and no part support.

Agree. I can still get parts for this 25-year-old unit. When it finally bites the dust, I'll upgrade to the Weber Summit which many in this forum have recommended, and which looks to me to be a wonderful design.

I have a Summit S-670 (the big one) and love it. Watch craigslist and other local sale circulars. I picked up a spotless one the prior owner had maybe used 5 times (and cleaned it back to "new" every time) for $1,000 a few years back. He paid $2,800 for it and was moving to PA for a new job. It was too big for him to take with him so he sold it and was getting a Egg when he got up there. Bought it in 2009 and 10 years later I still love it (for a gasser). Built like a tank and the kids will probably inherit it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky