New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have been asking a question about resting brisket and butts. My next-door neighbor loves smoking meats but is impatient and tends to skip some instructions as he always asks me for a step by step befor starting. He now turns out really good ribs in his Masterbuilt 30" gen 1 using the 3-2-1 for spair ribs trimmed them to St. Louis style. He also has turned out really good pork butts with the foil at 160 then taking them to 205 method then resting them in a cooler packed with towels for a cupple hours.
I told him that I do brisket pretty much the same way only difference is the finished temp I like 195 it 200. He followed my instructions until the resting time. instead of wrapping the meat with stretch wrap and foil then putting it in a cooler packed with towels he put it in a cold oven to rest. It turned out good so now he wants to know what benefit there would be to packing it in a cooler as opposed to resting it in a cold oven? I really don't have the answer for him I just know it works best.

What do you clean it with? Some type of special cleaner?
Everybody seems to have their own method.

I've tried a number of cleaners, but as far as chemicals go, I found Windex to work best for me, but I'm careful to have the door wide open, and don't spray toward the smoker so none of the overspray goes inside.  

Another Great way (if you have a Woodstove or Fireplace) is to wet a couple paper towels & then touch the wet towels in the ashes. Then use that on the Glass----IT WORKS AWESOME !!! Then finish it up with a couple of water-wet towels.

I have a Thread on that somewhere---I'll look for it.

I FOUND IT !!!  NO Chemicals Needed !!

Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/113467/cleaning-mes-window-without-any-chemicals-at-all

Bear

Last edited:
I have been asking a question about resting brisket and butts. My next-door neighbor loves smoking meats but is impatient and tends to skip some instructions as he always asks me for a step by step befor starting. He now turns out really good ribs in his Masterbuilt 30" gen 1 using the 3-2-1 for spair ribs trimmed them to St. Louis style. He also has turned out really good pork butts with the foil at 160 then taking them to 205 method then resting them in a cooler packed with towels for a cupple hours.
I told him that I do brisket pretty much the same way only difference is the finished temp I like 195 it 200. He followed my instructions until the resting time. instead of wrapping the meat with stretch wrap and foil then putting it in a cooler packed with towels he put it in a cold oven to rest. It turned out good so now he wants to know what benefit there would be to packing it in a cooler as opposed to resting it in a cold oven? I really don't have the answer for him I just know it works best.
I often just turn my MES down to the Temp of the Meat IT, and leave it in that heat for awhile. (You have to open the door to get it down near there)  Your option is to cover in foil or not cover.

The thing is---The meat is Stupid---It has no idea that instead of being in a cooler staying warm, it's in a Smoker doing the same thing.

I expect this is only easy to do in a Smoker Like the MES, or similar Smoker.

Bear

I often just turn my MES down to the Temp of the Meat IT, and leave it in that heat for awhile. (You have to open the door to get it down near there)  Your option is to cover in foil or not cover.

The thing is---The meat is Stupid---It has no idea that instead of being in a cooler staying warm, it's in a Smoker doing the same thing.

I expect this is only easy to do in a Smoker Like the MES, or similar Smoker.

Bear
Yup! If the meat is foiled, I turn off the smoker and plug the vents. I guess you can leave it till the IT gets close to 140*F. In the summer that's several hours. I did my last Chuckie this way. Shut off the smoker when the IT hit 180*F and it coasted to about 190*F and back to 180*F in two and a half hours.
-Kurt

Yup! If the meat is foiled, I turn off the smoker and plug the vents. I guess you can leave it till the IT gets close to 140*F. In the summer that's several hours. I did my last Chuckie this way. Shut off the smoker when the IT hit 180*F and it coasted to about 190*F and back to 180*F in two and a half hours.
-Kurt
Yup---I did this kind of thing a number of times.

I think a couple of my Step by Steps show a bit of it.

Works pretty good, and you don't have to play with towels & a cooler.

Bear

Ok I trust your opinions. So what you are saying is that my Neighbors method of resting meat in the oven works just as well as my cooler method but one is less hassle than the other? My original thought was that by wrapping it in stretch wrap and foil then packing it in a Cooler would leave those juices nowhere to go but back into the meat= more taste and tenderness. My butts and briskets are melt in your mouth tender, juicy and vary tasty. I guess it was easier for me to wrap and rest in a cooler because my smokes have been ending around midnight so I just wrap pack and go to bed. In the morning it's still hot.
I just read an article about resting meats in a cooler where they did a test to see how long it took to drop below the safe level of 140 degrees. 5 hours 8 minutes I thought well that's strange I sleep for 8 hours while my meat is resting and it's still to hot to handle in the morning, but then the article went on to explain that 113 degrees is to hot to handle which is well below the safe level. Guess I'll start planning my smokes to end way before bed time so that I can avoid dropping below the safe level. In that case I can try your resting method in the smoker. Or even the oven in the house.
Thanks Bear, thanks Kurt,

Randy,

Ok I trust your opinions. So what you are saying is that my Neighbors method of resting meat in the oven works just as well as my cooler method but one is less hassle than the other? My original thought was that by wrapping it in stretch wrap and foil then packing it in a Cooler would leave those juices nowhere to go but back into the meat= more taste and tenderness. My butts and briskets are melt in your mouth tender, juicy and vary tasty. I guess it was easier for me to wrap and rest in a cooler because my smokes have been ending around midnight so I just wrap pack and go to bed. In the morning it's still hot.
I just read an article about resting meats in a cooler where they did a test to see how long it took to drop below the safe level of 140 degrees. 5 hours 8 minutes I thought well that's strange I sleep for 8 hours while my meat is resting and it's still to hot to handle in the morning, but then the article went on to explain that 113 degrees is to hot to handle which is well below the safe level. Guess I'll start planning my smokes to end way before bed time so that I can avoid dropping below the safe level. In that case I can try your resting method in the smoker. Or even the oven in the house.
Thanks Bear, thanks Kurt,

Randy,
This would depend on what is less hassle to you, and how long you're going to "hold" it.

If you're going to hold it for many hours, I would think you should wrap it good in foil, to keep it from drying out.

I rarely Hold it for more than one hour. I don't do overnight smokes!

However if you want it to stay above 140°, you could set an MES for 150° & you should be good to go.

Bear

I'm towards the end of 'seasoning' my new gen 2.5 40 in MES, about an hour left (haven't added chips yet.) According to the Maverick, temp is reaching very close to 300 when smoker is reading 275 on display. Does this mean something is wrong with it? A 25 degree difference seems pretty high. Bear, any thoughts?

Edit: I'm also have problems connecting my phone to the smoker via Bluetooth. I got the app and followed the directions but nothing. I'm using an LG3 running Marshmallow. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I think I've decided on a new MES 40. My cheap analog MES 30" only lasted 2 years. Debating a pellet grill or electric smoker. My dead smoker gave more smoke than my buddy's Traeger & I like smoke.

Yes, I believe Bear posted the the AMNPS works great on the 40 in smoker if placed on the bottom rack to the right.
If my SMOKE RING from SMOKE DADDY didn't work so well, I would try what Bear says. However I am overly happy with the SMOKE RING, so i won't  try the AMNPS on bottom shelf on the right. As the old saying goes ... "if it aint broke, don't fix it" ....

I'm towards the end of 'seasoning' my new gen 2.5 40 in MES, about an hour left (haven't added chips yet.) According to the Maverick, temp is reaching very close to 300 when smoker is reading 275 on display. Does this mean something is wrong with it? A 25 degree difference seems pretty high. Bear, any thoughts?

Edit: I'm also have problems connecting my phone to the smoker via Bluetooth. I got the app and followed the directions but nothing. I'm using an LG3 running Marshmallow. Any ideas?
Getting 300° when set at 275° is Awesome---You got a bonus.

Just adjust the MES so that your Maverick reads what you want, and always go by your Maverick.

I wouldn't worry about the heat running high, unless it gets over about 325°.

If it did that, I'd tell them about it & get a new controller from MB.

Now if I set mine at 275°, and it only reads 250° on my Maverick, I'd call them too, because I paid for a smoker that can get to at least 275°.

I can't help you with the Bluetooth, because I don't have anything to use with it, so I just use the control buttons on the top front of my MES.

Bear

It's all about the heating element, sensor and your food levels.  They are all different most of the time.  That's why we buy independent therms that are next to the food for actual temps.  You're good to go. Different generations have different locations so some read opposite like my Gen 1 40".  I have to deflect heat away from the sensor so it doesn't read high on the Mes and be lower on the actual independent calibrated therm.  Just keep the actual temp under 300*F so the button looking limit sensor doesn't shut down the smoker.

-Kurt

Two things:  Bluetooth, buggy and limited range at best.  While it is nice to be able to turn the light on, adjust the temp, and see the temps from your phone, do like most here, get a wireless:  Maverick or new Thermoworks.  Wireless range, much better than bluetooth.  At the very least, you can unistal the app from your phone, do a reboot on your phone, re-install and try again.  (follow instructions on MES) You need to be less than 100 feet with line of sight for it to work.  I get about 75 feet of range....

Window:  I have found that pre-treating with PAM works well.  After a smoke, Magic Erasure with a little bit of water is the best.

Have fun!   

I have my first smoke going now, pair of baby back ribs. I am using the AMNPS inside. Is the cabinet supposed to be full of smoke, almost to the point where you can't see the meat? I ask because mine is not, I see the that the AMNPS is still lot, giving off smoke but the cabinet is not full of smoke.

I have the AMNPS on the bottoms rack on the right and it fully lit before putting it in.

Last edited:
I have my first smoke going now, pair of baby back ribs. I am using the AMNPS inside. Is the cabinet supposed to be full of smoke, almost to the point where you can't see the meat? I ask because mine is not, I see the that the AMNPS is still lot, giving off smoke but the cabinet is not full of smoke.

I have the AMNPS on the bottoms rack on the right and it fully lit before putting it in.
I like to be able to see the racks pretty good through the smoke.

If you can't see the racks and meat, the smoke is too heavy.

I would push the chip dumper back in to slow it uo.

If it already is in & smoke is still too heavy, put the AMNPS on the floor on the left. That should slow it down due to low air flow down there.

If it gets to be real low & almost going out, move it back to the right of the bottom rack.

Bear

Thanks Bear. My problem is not too much smoke, but actually too little. I have the AMNPS on the bottom right rack(with the foil covered water pan right below it) but it seems to be giving off very little smoke, I've actually pulled it out and relit it a few times. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: I also have the top vent open all the way and the chip loader about half way out to increase air flow as much as possible.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky