New MES 40 BT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jason Gindhart

Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and basically new to smoking. I owned a Brinkman Electric Bullet Smoker about 5 years ago and smoked a lot. I started Salmon fishing in the Puget Sound this year and have about 30lbs worth of Chinook in the freezer now. So I just purchased a MES 40 BT 6-rack with stand and cover. It will be here in 2 days, I can't wait!

I have read about the A-Maze-N Smoker. Does that just prevent you from having to add wood chips so often? Is it necessary for smoking fish to keep the temp down?

Thanks all. I look forward to learning a lot here and eating some delicious food.

giphy (2).gif

Can't help there but welcome.

I can say.......
Can brine fish in salt water plus any spice or herbs.. sugar. for overnight.. skin on gutted whole or fillets skin on. smoke at about 160 till the fish is also all 160.
The pellet maze adds extra smoke or can be used as only source. I dont own a smoker like that or a pellet maze thing.

You can use search for the topic.. type in key words smoked salmon. lots there . :)

Last edited:
The pellet smokers were made for the MES. They make the perfect smoke without using the chip tray.

H

I have read about the A-Maze-N Smoker. Does that just prevent you from having to add wood chips so often? Is it necessary for smoking fish to keep the temp down?

Thanks all. I look forward to learning a lot here and eating some delicious food.

The AMNPS will give you perfect smoke for up to 11 straight hours.

Using the built in chip burner gives you a real uneven mess, from no smoke to too heavy smoke with everything in between.

Bear

Got my MES 40 BT just now and got it put together. Since I live in the Puget Sound region I had to build a make shift Smokin Shelter to season it. So far I'm really impressed with the quality of this unit and the Bluetooth feature is nice when is cold and rainy out.

Attachments

• 316C7B2E-735E-4C37-8553-AB4ED015ACFD.jpeg
    316C7B2E-735E-4C37-8553-AB4ED015ACFD.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 504B1DDE-2D12-4603-9C5F-F3BB750D8A0A.jpeg
    504B1DDE-2D12-4603-9C5F-F3BB750D8A0A.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 53
Congratulations!
I just ordered a MES 40 BT on sale as well. Hopefully it lasts longer than the gen 2 that I very much enjoyed for a year (twice).
I like the AMNPS alot. I sometimes had trouble keeping it lit. The masterbuilt cold smoke attachement works well for me. A little strong in flavor for some.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky