new MES 30 poor combustion at lower temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke83340

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Wilsonville, OR
Hi All:
I have been a member for some years and have not posted for awhile, I even go back as far as good ol' Scarbelly. I replaced an older MES 30 that had a short that I could not fix with new MES 30 Digital [ Masterbuilt MB20071117]. Problem: I am getting very poor combustion at lower temps, like 220 where I like to smoke. If I turn the heat up to 250 I get good smoke. I noticed they changed the shape of the tray that the fuel sits in, but I don't think that should make any difference. I have tried pulling the hopper out an inch or so and opening the top vent, but I am still not getting good smoke at 220. I am south of Portland, Oregon, so altitude is not an issue. Using blocks of walnut and cherry wood which has dried for years.
I would appreciate your thoughts.
Merci beaucoup!
Adam

Welcome back! Your issue is the Nature of the Beast. Most of us MES owners bought an A-MAZE-N PRODUCTS...AMNPS Pellet Smoke Generator or the AMNTS Tube Smoke Generator, also burns pellets but is more effective when fresh air is limited. Todd Johnson, a long time member and Maze Inventor developed it for his MES with the same issue. Check them out...JJ

Welcome back! Your issue is the Nature of the Beast. Most of us MES owners bought an A-MAZE-N PRODUCTS...AMNPS Pellet Smoke Generator or the AMNTS Tube Smoke Generator, also burns pellets but is more effective when fresh air is limited. Todd Johnson, a long time member and Maze Inventor developed it for his MES with the same issue. Check them out...JJ
Thank you JJ - I am familiar with the products, I have both in storage in another state alas. I will contact Todd and make sure they fit in the newer MES.

Are you sure your CC temps are what they say they are. Verify with digital thermometer. My MES 40 when new wouldn't put out smoke until 200° verified by digital when smoker was saying temp was 220°.
Really sucked trying to do jerky like that, having to turn heat up all the time to get smoke and then back down again. Thank god for PID

Are you sure your CC temps are what they say they are. Verify with digital thermometer. My MES 40 when new wouldn't put out smoke until 200° verified by digital when smoker was saying temp was 220°.
Really sucked trying to do jerky like that, having to turn heat up all the time to get smoke and then back down again. Thank god for PID
Thank you, I will do the potato test. I'm not versed on PID, I may have to look into one.

Thank you JJ - I am familiar with the products, I have both in storage in another state alas. I will contact Todd and make sure they fit in the newer MES.
My old pellet tray (5x8 I think) that fit perfectly in my old MES 30 does not fit in my new MES 30 unfortunately. Trying to decide if I should get a tube or do the mailbox mod.

My old pellet tray (5x8 I think) that fit perfectly in my old MES 30 does not fit in my new MES 30 unfortunately. Trying to decide if I should get a tube or do the mailbox mod.
oof I just ordered a 5.8. If it does not fit I will return it and get a tube. Thanks!

I just put it on the bottom shelf for now. That maze produces a LONG TON of smoke, I may experiment with not filling it as high, or maybe blocking off a portion of the rows with tinfoil. I noticed also it can sit on the aluminum portion that is above the element area, but it will not sit flat and probably burn slower or faster, depending on the angle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky