• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigturk_80

Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Guys, I'm a new member. Currently I use an electric smoker which I do not like, it has no temp control on it. I'd like to build my own backyard smokehouse, and was wondering if anyone on here has some good ideas they could share with me? I'm from southern ontario, smoke quite a bit of fish and I also like to do beef and venison jerky.

Kevin

Hi kevin,
First of all, I'd like to welcome you the the best smoking forum on the web. You'll meet the friendliest most knowledgeable people around. Regarding the construction of a smoke house, I'll leave that to some of the pros. I'm currently using a propane GOSM and I love it. (I have temporarily parked my Charbroil off set.) It's one of the wide block types and has really ample capacity for me. Good luck on the smoke house and again, welcome to the forum. We look forward to your posts.

Welcome to the Smoking Meat Forum, Kevin. We would like to help you with your Smokehouse quest, but first off-to help us help you we need to know some things such as -
Is it a Smokehouse you're really after (a permenant structure or do you want a Pit-(movable and you can take it with you if/when you move).
What is you're heat source-wood, wood/charcoal mix, propane?
What is your cooking level? Expert or just learning?

I would recommend that you start with a good pit unit-there are several out there worth considering-if you get a pit mounted on a trailer, you can haul it around with you. Once you got a good handle on things and want to build a smokehouse-go for it!

Welcome Kevin!

Earl's advise is a good one! Smokehouses are for "Cold" Smoking, and are a "horse of a different color", so to speak. Nothing wrong with them, but if you are a Newbie to smoking, I would get the fundamentals down first with a regular wood fire Pit.

Let us know how we can assist you.

Jeff

Ya, whatever you guys think. I'm just looking for some good solid info on all the different types, pros and cons, etc.....

As of right now, I don't know much, I use an electric smoker and do mostlly fish, and the odd attempt at jerky.

I want to do much better than what I am doing right now, and want to learn some good techniques, recipes, etc....

Any help or links are greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin,

No one's trying to discourage you from your Smokehouse, but being that you are a Newbie - you are better served learning to "Barbeque" (cooking at 210* - 250* with thin blue smoke for extended periods of time) first. There are many more wonderful things you can cook with your Smoker than simply Fish and Jerky! Give us an idea of what your interested in, and we will try to guide you in the right direction.

Do us a favor and go to your "Profile" and update it with a little more information so we can know a little more about you.

Thanks!

Jeff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky