New Member, very nice site and excellent information

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ray from mass

Original poster
Good Morning. Found this site while I was looking for information on building a UDS. Been smoking for a lot of years using retail equipment, charbroil offset, Kenmore (sears) cabinet propane smoker and a smoke box for my Weber Silver C. All of which work just fine but none of them have the cooking volume needed for large crowds. So I've been collecting parts to build my UDS. I have 2 new open head drums and have purchased the Volgelzang deluxe kit. So like others have done I'll post my progress. I am going to attempt to do a reverse flow on the in the smoke drum so I'll be putting both firebox chimneys next to each other above the fire box door. According the the calculator, very nice, that should give me the heat flow I need from the firebox and with a piece of sheet metal directing the airflow in the smoke chamber to the rear then over the cooking area then out the stack, it should work. Again, great information here nice to find such a sharing site. 

Best,

Ray

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hello and welcome, Ray!  I'm glad you stumbled upon our group.  Good luck with your UDS build project...be sure to show it off with some pics when you can.

Have fun and happy smoking!

Red

Between the snow and work haven't had that much time to work on the project. Here are some pic's on my progress. Attempting to do a reverse flow smoker so the smoke drum as a 1/8" steel plate to direct the smoke flow. I've used open head drums which will allow me to assemble and maintain easier than closed head drums. Also the gap between the plate steel

and the meat rack is perfect for large disposable pans for water and to catch the drippings. 

I used stove gasket to seal the fire door and the drum heads rather than stove cement. 

Hey Ray

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.  Good looking smoker

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky